Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Danny stays put, not leaving. Why don’t he just get away and stay away from me? I don’t get it. Then again, I don’t get a lot of things.

                “Leave!” I scream at him.

                “Not until you say you’ll take me back,” Danny says calmly.

                “No! I don’t love you anymore, alright? Just leave me alone! Please…!”

                “Scarlett-”

                I walk up to Danny, and slap him hard across the face. “Leave!”

                “Scarlett please-!”

                I open the door, grab Danny’s shirt, and yank him out the apartment. I slam the door, and just for a split second see Danny try to get in, but fail, and lean against the door. I can tell Danny’s forearms are pressed into the wood of the door, and his forehead facing down. I swear I hear a crying-like sound, but it can’t be from Danny. The only time I’ve seen him cry was this one time he broke his upper arm. And even then he was barely crying. But this sound seems more powerful. More meaningful. Could it be Danny? I put my ear to the door, listen, and find it is Danny. I look through the key hole, and see that he’s actually crying. Not faking. But even though I cry every night, doesn’t mean that this state Danny’s in makes no difference in how I feel about him.

                I scoff a little, and walk to where Josh is hiding in the bathroom. “You can come out, Josh,” I say, but pain in my voice.

                Josh comes out, and immediately wraps his arms around me. I’m confused until I look in the bathroom mirror behind Josh and see my eyes are red, and there are tears running down my face. “Danny’s a jerk, huh?” Josh asks.

                “He is now. He never was before…”

                Josh’s strong arms wrapped around me makes me feel secure, and safe. I feel like I don’t need to worry. I feel comfortable, in no harm, and… protected. “Don’t worry, Scarlett. He’s gone.”

                “No, he’s right outside, I’m just ignoring him.”

                “I mean, like, gone. Not necessarily bothering us right now.”

                I bury my face in Josh’s chest, and Josh strokes my hair and kisses my head. I feel even safer with my arms around Josh. “Hey! Girl!” I hear, but it’s not Josh. It’s not Danny. It’s not me. “Hey! Look to your left!” I look to my left, down the hallway, and see a man’s silhouette, dark and mysterious. “I’ve been watching you,” the man says. “I’ve seen everything you’ve done since a few weeks ago.” I suddenly get really scared.

                “What’s wrong?” Josh asks me, looking confused.

                “Don’t you see him?” I ask Josh, and look back over at the silhouette of a man.

                “Who? We’re the only ones here.”

                One of us has lost our minds, and if I had to bet, I would say it was me who had lost her mind. “He’s over there,” I hear myself say. “At the end of the hallway.”

                “Who?”

                “Someone.”

                The man says, “Come here, girl.”