Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

I have a nightmare. In my dream, I wasn’t shot when I was with Danny, but I was hurt. Dylan had turned into some kind of slimy creepy monster thing, and Danny turned into the same thing. I escaped them but the city was infested with the creatures. I found Josh, who wasn’t a monster, and he calmed me down. And out of nowhere Danny in his monster form came and killed Josh. Then I was about to go through the same thing when I woke up. I woke up sweaty, breathing heavily, and sitting up. Since it’s only a twin bed and I’m pressed against Josh, I wake him up to.

                “You okay?” he asks.

                I nod. “Just a weird dream.” I lie back down and Josh encases me in his arms again. I give him a kiss on the cheek. “I’m happy you’re here is all.”

                “I’m happy you’re here too.” Josh pushes back a strand of hair behind my ear, and kisses my forehead. “Sleep. You need it.”

                I put my head on his chest, and try to sleep. I can’t though. The scene when Josh was killed in my dream keeps replaying in my head. I can’t even close my eyes for more than five seconds. “Josh, I can’t sleep,” I say.

                Josh kisses my forehead. “It was just a dream.”

                “I know.”

                “Just close your eyes. I’ll be here when you fall asleep.”

                “I can’t.” I grip onto Josh’s arm and hold his hand softly. “But promise you’ll be here?” I ask.

                “I promise.” Josh brushes my cheek with the back of his free hand and kisses me for a minute. “I’m not leaving until I have to.”

                I look into Josh’s eyes, and I know he means it. “I love you,” I say.

                “I love you more,” Josh responds. “When I first took a look at you I knew something would happen.  Like…”

                “Us?”

                “No. More. I don’t know. I just felt something.”

                I smile and chuckle. “Josh, I think that’s called falling in love.” I give him a kiss on the cheek, and rest my head on his shoulder. “Thank you.”

                “It’s nothing.”

                “It’s everything.”

                “You’re everything.” Josh kisses my cheek, and I try closing my eyes again. “Sleep. You need it, Scarlett,” Josh says.

                “I know.” I get myself to close my eyes and sleep.

                When I wake up, Josh is stroking my hair, and smiling. “Morning, sleeping beauty.”

                “Morning.”

                “You slept well.”

                “How do you know?”

                “I made sure you did. I didn’t sleep.”

                “Josh, you didn’t have to. Sleep. I’ll make breakfast.” I get up, and grunt in pain because my shoulder starts hurting. “Stupid shoulder…” I mumble. I walk to the kitchen, and get out mugs for coffee. I make eggs, and then start walking to my room with the breakfast. I place the breakfast on my windowsill. There’s a rope right outside my window.

                “What’s wrong?” Josh asks.

                “Just the biggest idiot in the world.” I open the window with my right hand, it would hurt if I used my left, and look down. “You’re an idiot, Danny!” I yell down at him.

                “Danny?” Josh says in alert.

                “Stop. Just a second,” I say smiling. “How high up are you?” I ask Danny.

                “Like fifteen, twenty feet. Why?” Danny says.

                “Because…” – I grab my mug of coffee, and lift it over Danny’s head – “you should never climb a building to sneak into someone’s apartment in the morning, Danny.”

                “Why?”

                “Oh, well for one, you’re in day light, and for another… they might have hot coffee.” I tilt the mug and pour all the coffee on top of Danny. He falls and lands on the ground. I close the window, and turn to Josh. “Only fifteen feet,” I say.

                Josh laughs. “Let’s hope he hurt his shoulder too.” I laugh, and hand Josh the eggs and coffee. When we finish eating, Josh says, “What do you wanna do today?”

                “I don’t know. What are you in the mood for?”

                “Anything.”

                “Let’s take a walk around LA. Just walk around and talk or something.” I say it before I think about it but I do want to do that.

                “Sounds cool. Sure.”

                “Get your shirt back on. I’m gonna take a shower.”

                “You don’t like me shirtless?”

                “Shut up.” I laugh and walk in the bathroom. I take a quick shower, and dress into jeans, a t-shirt, and cowboy boots. I put my hair into a back braid, and meet Josh in the living room. “Ready?” I ask.

                “Yeah.” Josh grabs my hand and we walk outside.