Chapter Twenty-Three

It’s weird. I want to get this whole thing with Josh leaving over with, but at the same time I don’t want it to happen at all. It’s that weird feeling.

                Before I know it, Josh and I are past security and standing at the gate. Josh drops his bags by the chairs and takes my hands. “You’ll be alright?” Josh asks me, looking right into my eyes.

                “I hope to be,” I say.

                “You alright now?”Josh puts his hand on my jaw, rubbing my cheek with his thumb. I hold his hand there, and bite the inside of my cheek. All I do is nod because I can’t seem to talk anymore. I want. I want to talk to Josh more before he leaves. Tears start streaming down my face, and I try not to cry more. It would only make a scene. Josh leans in and kisses me on the lips. Josh’s other hand holds my neck, and my other hand holds his forearm. After another few seconds, Josh pulls back and drops his hands. I wrap my arms around his, and he wraps his around me.

                “You sure you’ll be okay?” He asks.

                “I’m sure. I’ll probably be busy with the music thing anyway. Thanks for that,” I say. There’s a short silence, and then Josh’s plane is announced for arrival. “I don’t want you to leave…” I say, more tears pouring from my eyes.

                “You’ll be fine. I promise. Talk to that friend you saw at the art museum,” Josh says. “And if you hear any rumors about things that you think are bad, just ask me about it when I call. I wouldn’t lie to you. It happens all the time.”

                “Okay.”

                People start piling into the door that leads to the plane, and I know these next few seconds are my last with Josh for a while. I just have to try and forget about him. No. Not forget. Just not think about him for a little. “Don’t go, please,” I beg.

                “I have to. I’ll be back before you know it.” Josh picks up his bags, kisses me for a quick second and then leaves. “Love you!” he says as he’s boarding the plane. The doors close behind the last couple people and then my ears start focusing on the people around me. I wipe my tears and turn around to leave. I stop for a second when I realize we took Josh’s car and I have no money with me. I wish he gave me the keys… I guess it didn’t really cross our minds.

                “Scarlett?” I hear someone call my name. I turn around and see surprisingly Jenny. “Hey. What’re you doing here?” she asks when she comes over.

                “Oh hi,” I say. “Josh has to fly to film a movie. But I just realized I have no way home since he has his car keys.”

                “Oh. My boyfriend is going to see his family and he had the last plane ticket so I couldn’t go. Plus I wanted to stay so I could see you. I could also give you a ride if you want?”

                “Sure.”

                Jenny leads me out the airport and to her car. During the car ride, Jenny asks “So what’s happened since graduation?”

                “Not a lot. Just… Danny and craziness.”

                “Oh. Nothing much with me. Just mainly sitting around with my boyfriend really.”

                There’s a silence, and then Jenny asks, “Anything really worth talking about?”

                I feel like mentioning Dad, but I don’t know how. “Josh set up this whole thing last night to get me signed to a music deal.”