Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I surprise myself by throwing my phone as hard as I can at the wall to my right. I don’t believe it breaks, but I hear a crack and the clank against the floor. I scream in tears, and pulls my head into my lap. My tears pour out my eyes gallons a second. I’d totally forgotten that Josh Hutcherson was only a foot or two away from me and that I was screaming and crying and throwing a fit and losing the only person I had left, other than family, right in front of him. In front of my role model. In front of my inspiration. In front of my idol. In front of the one person I knew I would kill myself for.

I thought something was off with Danny. Though I guess I only had the gut to ask him in person, as in what was supposed to be our movie date tomorrow. But I guess texting something to the absolutely wrong number for him was enough.

Josh’s hand touching my back startles me, because I’m not used to that. Danny didn’t do that. Usually he’d stroke my cheek, or take my hand. But not touch my back. I jump when Josh does touch my back though, and he pulls away. I look at him, and he looks a little freaked out, like I’m crazy. Of course he would. Who wouldn’t be? I’m losing my mind. Danny said, and vowed and swore, he wouldn’t leave me for someone else. Or if it ever came to, which it did, break up over a text message. But he broke both promises. Both swears. Both vows.

I can just recite his exact words when he vowed: I swear and vow that I will never, ever, break your heart over a text message. I will never leave you for someone else. Never. I love you.

“You think I’m a crazy!!” I find myself screaming at Josh as I get up and stand next to the couch, facing him. As I start walking backward to my room, I scream louder as I step further away “You think I’m crazy!! I’m a loon!! You think I’m a crazy loon who can’t handle the simplest things!! You think I’m too fragile!! I know you do!! I’m too breakable!! You think I’m a mental idiot who shouldn’t be in a stingy apartment but a tight white hospital room!! I’m crazy!! You know it, Josh!!”

I realize what I said after I slam my door shut. The apartment is small enough for me to tell Josh sighs sadly. I think. I can’t be sure. Probably though.

I hear Josh walk into another room. One of my studios. I’m too busy crying to want to get up from the floor and make sure nothing happens to the instruments, but I surprise myself again by getting up and walking to the other rooms. I catch him reading one of my notebooks. I can see the cover I designed and pasted onto it. It’s the one entitled The Killer. It’s a fan fiction of Josh. I hope he doesn’t get as freaked out as he already is.

Josh doesn’t seem to have noticed I’m watching him, and moves to look at the art. In a way, he’s being rude. Looking around someone’s house like this. But I don’t mind, he deserves to look at things like this that I’ve been told are amazing after I just went crazy on him like I did. He looks at the ones I’m working on, sitting peacefully on the canvases, and the drawings showing from my open sketch books.

Josh moves to the music room, and I follow him. He looks around, intrigued. He doesn’t dare touch anything, probably in fear of breaking something. He turns to go back to the living room but sees me.

“You’re very talented!” he says.

I sigh, tears still dripping out my eyes, slower than before though. “Thanks,” I say. “I’m into a lot of the arts a lot. I’m working on getting acting lessons. I’ve been meaning to start since Middle School, but I never found the time.”

“I can probably help with that. I am an actor, as you know.”

“Thanks. But you don’t have to.”

“No. I think I should. I think it’d be fun.”

“Maybe.” I realize Josh is right in front of me now. The more I’m talking to him, the less nervous I get. “But don’t you have Catching Fire to film soon?”

Josh smiles. “I’ve still got a while to go.” – Josh puts a strand of hair behind my ear – “We can get things done in that time.”

“Thanks.”

“It’s nothing.”

I find myself rubbing at my wrist I cut myself at. I look down at it, picking at the scab at the tip of the most recent one. Josh looks down at it too, and takes it in his own hand. He looks at it for a few seconds, then looks back into my eyes. His hazel brown eyes sparkling in a pool of sadness.

“You cut?” he asks sympathetically.

“When I feel something is off and I can’t put it into a place. Yes.”

“You shouldn’t.”

“I know. But I can’t control myself a lot. It just… happens.” I walk over to the stool by the microphone, and sit down, thinking for a second. “You probably think I’m messed up enough to have to be in mental condition.”

“I don’t think that.” Josh’s words shock me. “I think you’ve just been through a lot.”

“You don’t know if I have.”

“Well it sounds like it.”

I look up at Josh, and can’t help but smile a little. “I was in school. I was fine until just now. Subtracting the crying and cutting and stuff.”

“What did you say your name was again?”

“Scarlett.”

“Scarlett,” Josh repeats. I find myself stand up. “That’s beautiful.”

“Thanks.” I can’t stop the blood from rushing to my cheeks.

I can’t stop thinking of this circumstance. How Josh Hutcherson came into my apartment. How Danny killed me inside, making me feel alone until just now. Josh… he’s not my role model, my inspiration, my idol anymore.

He’s a friend. The only one I have now.