Chapter Five

Chapter Five

“Come on, Scar. We should talk,” Danny begs.

            “No. Just go away,” I respond.

            “Scar…”

            “Stop calling me that. Leave.”

            I hear a sigh, but no footsteps. “Fine,” I say. I walk over to the piano I have, which is in the room next to the living room. I press down on the keys hard as I play You’re Not Sorry by Taylor Swift. I start singing. “All this time I was wasting / Hoping you would come around

                “Oh come on…” Danny says, but I don’t let him stop me.

                “I’ve been giving out chances every time / but all you do is let me down / And it’s taken me this long / Baby but I figured you out / And you’re thinking we’ll be fine again / But not this time around.

                “Scar…”

                “You don't have to call anymore / I won't pick up the phone / This is the last straw / Don't wanna hurt anymore / And you can tell me that you're sorry / But I don't believe you baby / Like I did – before / You're not sorry, no no oh.” I have tears running down my cheeks, but weeping sounds don’t escape my mouth, only the lyrics. “Looking so innocent / I might believe you if I didn't know / Could've loved you all my life / If you hadn't left me waiting in the cold / And you got your share of secrets / And I'm tired of being last to know / And now you're asking me to listen / Cause it's worked each time before // But you don't have to call anymore / I won't pick up the phone / This is the last straw / Don't wanna hurt anymore / And you can tell me that you're sorry / But I don't believe you baby / Like I did – before / You're not sorry, no no, oh // You're not sorry no no oh // You had me crawling for you honey / And it / never would've gone away, no / You used to shine so bright / But I watched all of it fade // So you don't / have to call anymore / I won't pick up the phone / This is the last straw / There's nothing left to beg for / And you can tell me that you're sorry / But I don't believe you baby / Like I did – before / You're not sorry, no no oh // You're not sorry, no no oh.”

            I stop playing, and listen. I try to listen and see if Danny is still there, or if he got bored, gave up, and left. Though leaving isn’t too likely; Danny never left if I sang. Even if I was mad at him at some point and was singing a song like I did, he didn’t leave. I move up to the door, and listen. I hear him sigh.

            “Come on, Naomi,” I hear him say. “We should go.”

            As I listen to his footsteps get quieter as they increase distance from me, the more I want him to come back and apologize. But what I wanted at first was for him to go away. It makes no sense. I’m crazy as it is, and it boggles my mind more. I go to the kitchen, trying to forget what happened, my stomach growling. I start thinking about yesterday. Not Josh kissing me. Not me being crazy. Not Danny breaking up with me through a few text messages, of course. But how Josh found me. He was banging on the door, kind of like he needed help. He had run in right when I opened the door. Josh was short of breath a little. What was he doing? Was someone chasing him? Was he running from something? Someone? I wouldn’t know unless I ask him.

            His card. It’s on the table, idiot. I think. I forget about eating breakfast, and grab Josh’s card from the table. I write the information on a post-it note, and put it on the counter of my kitchen in case I lose the card. I pick up my phone, and decide to head down to the Apple store to get my phone checked. I don’t even care about this crummy iPhone 3G anymore, I want the iPhone 4S or 5. I’ve been saving up from my crummy job at this unpopular art store further in town. I use most of that money for rent, insurance, etc. Living alone is annoying sometimes. I had planned living with my friend until Sydney Conners came along.

            Anyway, I jump in my car, and drive down to the Apple Store in just a few minutes. I’m walking up to the door when I see Josh come out the store.

“Hey!” he says excitedly.

            “Hey. What’re you doing here?”

            “Since you smashed your phone into the wall last night…,” – Josh reaches into the bag he’s holding – “I decided to get you a new one.”

            I stare at the iPhone 4S box in Josh’s hand. I take it slowly. “You didn’t have to…,” I say, but don’t finish my sentence.

            “It’s fine. I wanted to.”

            “No, but –.”

            “It’s fine, Scarlett. I wanted to buy it for you. I was actually about to surprise you.”

            “You did…”

            “Then mission accomplished.” Josh grins, but it disappears as he sees the expression on my face. I don’t know again. I feel enraged. My face must be redder than a fresh lobster at the most expensive restaurant. “Why are you mad?” I hear Josh ask.

            “I don’t know,” I say in a quieter tone, now seeming sad.

            Josh takes a step toward me, and caresses my face, examining my eyes. I can’t stop thinking about what happened this morning with Danny. Josh looks like he can see it in my eyes. “What’s wrong?” he asks.

            Maybe he doesn’t see it. Everything. I think. Everything is wrong. Everything is confusing. Everything isn’t right… “Nothing,” I say.

            “Tell me. You can trust me…”

            “I know. But…” …We just met.

            “SCAR!!” I hear to my left. Danny. He’s alone now. Naomi’s not with him. “Stay there for a minute!!” He knew I wanted to run.

            I feel the impulse to run, but after his words my feet are glues to the sidewalk. Josh gives me a look, a confused look. “Danny,” I mouth to him.

            Danny gets over to us and catches his breath. As if Josh wasn’t even standing there, Danny says, “Scar, please let me talk to you.”

            “Stop calling me that, for one thing. For another, no. I don’t want to talk to you.”

            “You are talking to me.”

            “You know what I mean.” Danny touches my cheek, but I slap it away. “Shouldn’t you get back to Naomi?” I ask coldly. “She is your girlfriend. You were with her about ten, twenty minutes ago.”

            “I know. She had to do something. I need to talk to you.”

            “No! There’s nothing to talk about, Danny! You texted the wrong number, you broke up with me over text, and that’s it!! We do not need to talk! It’s done! You made me decide after you admitted at liking someone else more, and, well… NO!! THERE’S NOTHING TO DISCUSS!”

            “Scar-.”

            “How many times do I need to tell you not to call me ‘Scar’!?” I push Danny away from me, and start storming to the corner to cross the street. Before I even reach it, I hear both Josh and Danny following close behind. I speed up, and begin crossing.

            “SCAR, STOP!!” I hear Danny call to me. I see a car speeding down the street toward me, then someone tackle me out of the street before I get hit. I look to see if it was Danny who saved me, but I see Josh. Danny warned me, barely in time to help me. Josh actually risked his own life to save mine.

            If I’d need to choose who I wanted to love, I’d choose Josh by a landslide.