Cha[ter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Josh and I walk around the city for about a half hour. Aside from the occasional “Fangirl wants a picture and autograph” stops, we weren’t disturbed. Josh bought me things. I tried to decline the offers but he bought the things anyway. Mainly things for art, music, or writing, and then a stuffed bunny which is really adorable. Really, really adorable.

                “Wanna rest?” Josh asks me. I nod, and we sit on a bench about a half block up the street.

                “So…,” I say.

                “So…”

                “How’s life been?”

                “The last few days have been pretty much perfect.” I know he means being with me. Ugh! Why is he like this?

                “Besides Danny and getting shot, it’s the same with me.”

                We sit there for a few more minutes. Suddenly something hard hits the left side of my head, and I push the palm of my right hand to the spot.  I look in the general direction the thing came from and see a girl. She picks up a tennis ball from ground, and I’m assuming that’s what hit me.

                “You alright?” Josh asks.

                I take my hand away from my head and say, “Yeah.” The girl comes over, and now that I can see her all the memories of hell in high school come back. I stand up and face the girl, wearing jeans, a so-called “designer” pink shirt, and a ponytail. “Sydney Conners,” I say.

                “Scarlett Marr,” Sydney says. “Still as crazy as you were in high school?”

                Warning, warning: Idiot about to get killed by me. “Shut. Up,” I say coldly.

                “Guess you are.” Sydney looks at Josh who is getting up from the bench. “Guess you made friends with that guy you just loved in school. Josh Hutcherson right?”

                “What’s it to you?” I ask.

                Josh takes my hand, kisses my cheek, and says, “Let’s go.” I know that just from that, Sydney figured out we’re dating.

                “Ohh. Boyfriend?” she says. “What happened to Danny? Or are you cheating on him?”

                “I’m not a cheater,” I say, trying not to scream considering we’re in public.

                “OH, you guys broke up then?” I don’t answer, just let her laugh at me. “Let me guess! He dumped you?” I don’t answer. Sydney laughs again. “He did didn’t he? Was it because you’re a crazy idiot?”

                “No,” I say quietly, but clench both my fists.

                “Wait, wait, wait. He dumped you for another girl right? I saw him the other day kissing someone who wasn’t you. Yes! He did! Am I right?”

                “Would you go away if I said ‘yes’?”

                “Oh so he did!” Josh unclenches one of my fists, and takes my hand. I can just feel the tension he feels, but I can hear my heart beating fast. “Maybe he finally came to his senses and admitted it. He knew you weren’t worth it.”