Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

Josh and I walk in the restaurant, and immediately I find myself wanted to taste everything. Fancy places have good food right? Josh and I walk up to a man at a podium with a binder. “Hutcherson,” Josh says. The man looks through the binder to find our reservation, and then guides us to a table at a window. Music starts playing after a minute, and we’re handed menus.

                "What’s good here?” I ask Josh.

                “Probably everything,” he answers.

                I decide to order a salad and iced tea. It’s the cheapest thing here and it’s still expensive. Josh gets coffee and steak. “I’m paying for my own meal this time, Josh,” I say.

                “No you’re not,” Josh says laughing.

                “What makes you say I can’t?”

                “You left your money at the apartment. That’s what makes you wrong. Besides I want to pay.”

                “I hate you, you know,” I say with smile. “But I’m paying you back.”

                “I’d give it back.”

                “I’d give it to Andre then.”

                “And you think he’ll give it to me?”

                I give Josh a funny look. “Shut up. I don’t want to talk about this.”

                “You just don’t want to admit you can’t put the money in my pocket.”

                Josh and I talk for a while longer until our stomachs are growling like crazy. Soon our food arrives, and we dig in. My guess was right. The food is exorbitantly amazing. I really want to take some home, if they do that here, but I can’t stop eating. When we finish, I wipe my mouth and lean back in my chair. “That was amazing!” I say.

                “That’s why I took you,” Josh responds. He feels around for his wallet. “This is the worst moment to leave your wallet at home,” he says.

                “Says the person who wanted to pay.”

                “Ha ha. How are we going to pay?”

                I look around the restaurant to see if our waiter is coming. I don’t see him but I do see who I assume is the manager and another worker talking. “What are they talking about?” I ask Josh in a whisper.

                Josh turns toward the people I spotted, and starts listening. “I don’t know.” The people start walking in our direction, and I can hear them better.

                “Where’s the guy who was going to do the live music?” I hear the manager say.

                “I don’t know,” the other one says, “he was supposed to be here.”

                They’re walking past when I wink at Josh and say, “How come you can’t find your wallet? How are we going to pay?”

                The manager turns toward us, and I keep from smiling, and hope what I have in mind will work. “You seem to be in a financial situation,” the manager says to us, “What’s the problem?”