Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

After an hour we’re still on the same Monopoly game. This is why I never really play this game. It takes a lifetime and a half to finish. “We should do something else,” I say, but excitedly.

                “Like what?” Josh says.

                I think, try to remember what I was going to say. The phone rings, and I say, “One sec.” I get up, and grab the phone from my room. “Hello?”

                “Hi, Scarlett. It’s Mom.”

                “Hi, Mom.”

                “You should really come down to the airport in an hour.”

                “Why?”

                “Because your father’s coming home from the army…”

                “WHEN DID HE LEAVE?” Okay, now I’m in complete confusion. I guess I’m too unstable to know anything like this. But what if he died? Did he ever go into a war or something? I have no way of knowing but I might find out within an hour.

                “Calm down, Scarlett. We didn’t tell because we didn’t want to add anything too stressful to your life.”

                “But when did he leave?” I’m in tears now, and I don’t want to stop.

                “He left a few months after you moved out.”

                “Oh and was it the day you told me you had to move?”

                I hear Mom sigh. “Yes. I’m sorry we lied to you. We just didn’t want you-.”

                “-going crazy. I know… Did he go into a war or anything?”

                “N-Yes. I wanted to tell you. But I didn’t want you getting… yeah.”

                “Mom, it’s fine. I just want to know if he’s okay…” It’s true. She was only trying to help me. I think. I just… Dad and I… I don’t know. He helped me a lot and Mom tried but failed a lot. So I forgive her I guess.

                “He’s fine.”

                “If he was fine he wouldn’t becoming home. They’d have kept him.”

                There’s a short pause. I’m starting to think that Dad is seriously hurt. I start crying more, hoping that I won’t lose it because I only have so much time to get to the airport. There’s a knock on my bedroom door, and Josh pokes his head in. “You okay?” he asks.

                I nod. Josh walks in more, and sits on the floor where I am. “He was shot…” Mom says.

                “Where? How bad is it?”

                “It’s not extremely bad. Besides he’s well enough to be able to walk. He was shot in the arm.”

                “Where in the arm? Which one?”

                “I don’t know. I was told ‘the arm’. Just be at the airport in a little less than an hour, Scarlett. Gate 7.”

                “Okay…”

                I hang up the phone, and cry a little into my knees. Josh pulls me into a hug, and I cry into his shoulder. “What’s wrong?” he asks, stroking my hair.