Chapter 33

Chapter Thirty-Three

“Mom,” the little girl in the corner says. I look over at her bloody body from my spot on the floor.

          “Yes?” I say.

          “Help me…”

          “I can’t…” The girl screams deafeningly and then vanishes into thin air. I close my eyes for a second, and when I open them she’s right in front of me, bleeing from her chest.

          “Help me…” she says weakly.

          “I can’t,” I say again. “I’m sorry.” She cries and wails painfully and then melts into the floor. I close my eyes again, and when they open I see no one.

          That girl who calls me Mom keeps appearing in this room, and she doesn’t stop appearing. I go as far as begging a doctor who comes in to check on me with extreme tears and screams for them to help me help her.

          They never do.

          This is the torture of being here – you get not help. You’re put here for help yet you get none. You get in a worse condition than before. I officially go crazy everyday for at least half the day. Whenever they allow me to leave the room I am supervised by someone. When they let me get fresh air I’m supervised by multiple people – at least three. I can’t be going that crazy right?

          I’ve been here for two months straight.

          Mom has brought me my clothes, and has come for visits with Dad. Dana and Jenny have come also, but rarely Dana because she’s afraid of being put in the same situation as me. I understand that. Jenny comes whenever she can. Josh is away at movies but he calls when he can. Others come…

          I sigh and try falling asleep. Just as I’m drifting off, the door clicks to the more advanced room (I now have a dresser and whatever) and someone walks in. They help me up, and I’m walked to the Crazy Room (my nickname for where they try making me crazy). Kasmin promised it was once, but it wasn’t. They’ve done it everyday, trying to get me to control it. It’s only made me worse.

          I walk into the room of mirrors and sit in the chair. “Ready?” they asks me. I nod. “Okay.” I see the girl again, but she looks different – she’s a progection but she still looks very much like the real one.

          “Help me…” she says.

          “Please repeat what she’s saying, Scarlett?” they asks me.

          “’help me,’” I tell them. “I can’t.”

          “Please. Help me.”

          “’Please. Help me.’ I’m sorry. What’s wrong?”

          “It’s coming. It’s coming to hurt us.”

          I stay silent, not saying anything. I clear my throat. “What’s coming to hurt us?” I ask. “What is it?”

          The girl starts shaking like the ground is moving, and then loses her balance and falls to her hands and knees. I jump up and run to her. I try lifting her face but my hands go through her.

          “Help me,” she says. “Please help me.”

          The girl screams again and then goes away as if a projector is turning off. I scream loudly in frustration, falling to my side crying. I need to save that girl but I don’ t and I can’t and I never even try.

          “Come on,” I hear a doctor say as they try getting me to stand up. “Stand up, now.” I stand, and they wipe my face with a tissue. They have to force me to walk away and back to my room. In my room, I find myself in the middle of the room, crying.

          “Save her…,” I whisper to myself repetitively. “Save her save her save her save her save her.”

          After what feels like eons, I hear the door open. I scramble to my feet and back up a few steps, being cautious of who it might be coming in. I see a guy with brown hair, brown eyes. Josh. I remember when Josh and I were in the other room the first day they took me to go crazy. Josh smiles, but I keep a straight face, just staring at him.

          “Hey!” he says.I don’t respond. Josh walks over to me, and caresses my face, following with a kiss on the forehead. “Please tell me you aren’t crazy right now?”

          I shake my head. “I…” I start to say but it feels weird. “I’m not crazy now.”

          “Good.” Josh kisses my lips, and pulls back smiling. It quickly fades. “What’s wrong?”

          “Nothing.” That’s such a lie – I need to tell Josh about what they’ve been doing. How though? I press my lips together and avoid eye contact.

          “There’s definitely something wrong, Scarlett. Tell me.”

          I sigh, and try not opening my mouth after. I eventually do and sob, and then I can’t stop. I sob until there are trillions of gallons of water coming from my eyes. I wrap my arms tightly around Josh’s chest, sinking my face into his shirt. He wraps his arms around me as well and breathes onto my neck.

          “What is it?” Josh asks.

          “The people here,” I say, “the doctors. They’re making me go crazy, and I can’t take it. It’s scaring me. I don’t like it. I want to leave. I was fine. I’m worse. This isn’t helping at all; the doctors are only making it worse, Josh.”

          “I thouhgt it was just once?” Josh asks, annoyed and sad at the same time.

          “Well it was a lie. I’m so scared…”

          “I know. Just…” Josh trails off. Of course he can’t answer, how do you? Eventually Josh says, “I’ll try guilt tripping them.” Josh rubs my back, and kisses my forehead. I look up and sniff, but I swear there’s someone behind Josh. He adjusts my glasses, pushes my hair back and kisses me softly. I feel a slither of warmth spread throughout my body, but it goes away when Josh pulls back. I see the girl behind Josh. I take the time while she isn’t speaking to study her features.

          Green eyes, brown hair, glasses. She looks like little me. Maybe she is me. She has the same kind of clothes I would wear when I was younger too. The girl looks about 13.

          Josh looks behind me, and then immediately at me. “What?” he asks confused. “What’s wrong?”

          “The girl again,” I say.

          “What girl?”

          “The girl!” I almost scream. “Save her, Josh! Help me save her!” I start crying and Josh tries wiping the tears. “Josh! Help me save her, please! She keeps dying!”

          “Save her from what?”

          “Save her!” I cry harder.

          “From what, Scarlett!” I cry harder, and stare at the girl. “What’s her name?” Josh asks.

          “I don’t know her name,” I say.

          I hear the girl’s voice. She says something. She says it again. She continuously repeats it. “What?” Josh asks me.

          “Her name…” I say, staring at the girl.

          “What is it, then?”

          I say, “It’s Scarlett Rachel Marr.”