Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

Josh tries to get in again. “Let me in,” he says calmly.

                “I’M JUST CRAZY!” I scream.

                “No you’re not.”

                “SHUT UP!”

                “Scarlett calm down.”

                I’m not going to calm down. No. It’s that I don’t want to calm down, it’s that I can’t. “Go away!” I scream.  “I’m just scared!”

                “Of what? What are you scared of?”

                I don’t answer. And to tell you the truth, I don’t have an answer. I never have had an answer. “I don’t know…,” I cry. “I don’t know.”

                “Scarlett, let me in. I just want to help.”

                “DON’T TAKE ME AWAY!”

                “I won’t. I’m not here to hurt you or take you away or anything. I just want to help.” I hear Josh sigh, and try to turn the doorknob again. “Scarlett… open the door. There’s nothing to be scared of.”

                I get up quickly, and open the door. I’m about to scream again, but Josh wraps me in his arms tightly. It throws me into a panic, and I try to break away, but Josh keeps holding me. Eventually I give up on trying, and relax in his arms. “Don’t hurt me…,” I say in a weak and confused voice.

                “I’m not,” Josh says. “I don’t want to.”

                Josh’s arms make me feel safe, yet at the same time unprotected. “Don’t leave tomorrow,” I beg. “Please.”

                “I’m sorry I have to. I wish you could come, but you can’t.” Josh kisses my forehead, and tries to smile. “I’ll visit and call and we can talk and I’ll help. I promise. I’ll do what I can to make sure you’re okay.”

                “Okay…” Josh kisses my lips for a second, and then pulls away, looking into my eyes.

                “I will call and stuff.”

                “I know. I’m just scared.”

                Sydney pokes her head out the bathroom. “Are you gonna hurt me?” Sydney asks me, frightened.

                I simply nod my head, but I’m not sure at all. I’m really not. “Why?” I ask. “Why would you ruin my life?”

                “I’m sorry. I am! Please don’t hurt me?”

                I stare at Sydney, my fists clenched, my throat burning. “I’ll try.” I move past Sydney, and into the bathroom, locking the door behind me. I wash my face, and look at myself in the mirror. Idiot. I think. You’re an idiot, Scarlett. An idiot. I splash water on my face once more. I dry off, and stand in front of the mirror. I don’t know what to do now, where to go, what to say and who to say it to. I like crying, but I don’t feel like I can.

                “You coming out?” I hear Josh ask me.

                “Yeah,” I say, but again, I’m not sure.