Chapter 19

I tried controlling my breathing as I raced on the freeway. Leo was hurt, badly. I tried not to think about what his mom had told me, and instead focus on getting to the hospital safely. I was breathing quickly, and I was trying to suppress the tears that wanted so badly to come out.

I had managed to stay calm as I pulled into the hospital parking lot. I quickly parked and locked my car, then ran towards the hospital doors. I ran until I got the main hall to find patients. I was out of breath when I got up to a nurses desk.

"Can I help you miss?", she said with a worried look on her face.

I took a deep breath, and tried evening out my breaths. "Yes, I- I'm looking for Leonardo King. Im his girlfriend".

"Give me a moment" she said typing his name into the computer. I tried keeping myself together as she kept typing.

"Okay he's on the third level in room 345. But I can't let you go in there without-", she was interrupted by Natalie, Leo's mom.

"Im his mother, and Im taking her with me to go see my son if you don't mind", she said with a look that you wouldn't want to say no to.

The nurse looked a bit intimidated, so she just nodded in response. Natalie smiled and took my arm to lead me to the elevator.

As we waited for the elevator to come down I realized I hadn't said anything to her. I turned to ask how she was holding up, but I stopped noticing the bruises. She was covered in them, most of them were small and spread out. Yet, she had one large one on her cheek. I know where Leo learned how to hit, I thought to myself.

I hadn't noticed that Natalie was now watching me stare at her, until she cleared her throat. I looked up a little embarrassed, and I prepared to apologize for being so rude.

"Don't even try, I don't want an apology. I'd be staring at me too if I was you, I mean they aren't hidden very well. Then again, I was more worried about my son bleeding on the kitchen floor than going put a jacket on" she said looking at the ground.

I could see small tears trailing down her cheeks. I had no clue how to respond so I just grabbed her hand, and squeezed it. She looked up and gave me a weak smile. The elevator had finally opened, so we stepped in.

As it started going back up I realized I wasn't ready to see Leo. I couldn't handle seeing him hurt, and I was still upset about him hitting me. Obviously, I had to put that anger aside and focus on the fact that he needed me right now. I was pulled from my thoughts when the doors opened, and Natalie had began to tug my arm.

We made our way down the hall, and my breathing became more shallow. I felt Natalie squeeze my hand, I guess in reassurance. We had gotten to the door, and we both stopped.

"I've been with him this whole time so you go ahead. He'd probably want to be alone with you anyways" she said softly before walking away.

I slowly made my way into the room, I couldn't see him yet because the curtain had been pulled forward. Yet when I pushed it to the side I felt my heart skip a beat. Leo looked so weak, laying in that hospital with tubes connected to his body and bruises covering his body.

I slowly made my way to his bed, and when I got close enough I sat down in the chair that had pulled up next to him. I couldn't stop the tears from falling now, all I could do was hold his hand.

"You came?" I heard him say softly. I looked up to find him struggling to face towards me.

"Babe stay still, and of course I came. How are you holding up?" I said trying to swallow the lump in my throat.

"I'm alive so that's good. Everything hurts like a bitch, but the doctor said no vital organs were damaged so I can leave in like a week" he said trying to smile.

"I'm glad Leo, and I promise I'll come every day to see you. I'm just happy that-"

"Lillie before you continue I just want you to know I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have laid a finger on you, and honestly I'm disgusted with myself. I really didn't think you'd show up after how I hurt you, but I'm glad you did. I promise I will do everything I can to make it-", before he could continue I grabbed his face and kissed him.

He groaned a little bit, so I pulled away thinking I was hurting him. I sat back down, and took a deep breath.

"Leo, I forgive you. I'm still hurt but I'll move on knowing it'll never happen again. I love you, and I know you're not that kind of man. I don't want to end something this great because of one mistake" I said with a small smile.

I felt him tug at my arm, so I got up to move closer to him. He pulled my hand to his lips, and softly kissed the back of it. He then smiled, and motioned for me to lay down next to him. I was careful on how I got on the bed, but once I was comfortable I laid my head down on his shoulder.

I inhaled the scent of his cologne, it seemed to never wear off of him. I felt his chest rise and fall as I he slowly drifted back to sleep. I felt so lucky.

"Lillie can you promise me something?" I heard him say softly.

"What?" I asked looking up at him. He turned towards me as much as he could without causing too much pain.

"Promise you'll be mine forever and always?" he said with a weak smile.

"Of course Leo, forever and always I will be yours" I said then kissed his cheek softly.

He closed his eyes, and pulled me closer to him. We sighed in unison, and laughed about it for a little bit. I was looking forward to forever with this guy. I didn't know that the promise I just made would come back to bite me in the ass.