Chapter 30

Several minutes have past since Slade had dropped a enormously huge bomb of news on me.

Taking me a few to compose myself after that, I silently showed him to the guest room, too afraid to blurt the wrong thing, I just stayed quiet.

Avoiding eye contact with me the whole time, he swiftly told me that he's going to take a much needed shower.

Shortly after that the food finally showed up, too overwhelmed to eat much I just settled on snacking on an egg roll. I sat at the kitchen's breakfast bar as Slade cautiously enter the kitchen.

A stream of men's cologne was the first to hit me upon his arrival.

Looking up, I was more than satisfied with his new appearance instead of the blood stained face.

His hair messily positioned over his head covering his eyes and most of his forehead as he held his head low, still hunched over in pain from his ribs.

He wore a black hoodie with our school's logo and mascot on the front in navy blue and gold with 'Swim Team' written down the left sleeve, our school colors. Matching it with some black, gray, and white plaid pajamas pants.

Finally looking up at me after making his way over the threshold of the kitchen, I spoke first.

"So... you were on the swim team, huh?" I blurted, mentally face palming.

Slade smiled, looking up at me slightly.

"Yeah." He chuckled softly. "Through Freshman and Sophomore year. After that things got..." His smiled faded as he scratched the side of his head. "Uh... complicated."

Meaning the Molly Sanders murder.

"Right..." I trailed off. "You hungry?" I offered.

His smile widened tremendously, most likely from the change of subject.

"Hell yeah." He grabbed a plate from the dishwasher and sat down in the stool next to me at the bar.

One thing I admire about Slade is that he isn't modest, he says what's on his mind.

"Help yourself." I smiled. "But leave some for my mom and Nico, okay?" I chuckled, finishing off my egg roll. "I'm gonna go shower."Playfully pointing his way after hopping off the stool making my way out of the kitchen. "Behave."

"Hey!" Slade called to me, stopping me in my tracks. I turned around to see his full attention on me "Thank you." He smiled sadly. "And I promise to fill you in before the night's over." He spoke softly looking at his feet like they were the most important thing right now.

"Slade, you don't-" I began, shaking my head frantically.

"Yes." He cut me off, firmly, his icy blue eyes meeting mine deep brown ones. "I do."

"Right.... I'm just gonna go shower." I spoke uncomfortable using my thumb to point towards the stairs.

"Go ahead. Shoo. I can smell you from here and trust me, its slowly demolishing my appetite." He teased, chuckling in between bites.

Rolling my eyes, I turned to leave.

"Whatever. " I called over my shoulder.

Walking from the kitchen to the stairs, I heard her voice again, Molly's voice, but this it said my name. "Kalahni." I looked around trying to listen from where its coming from, following it upstairs.

With each and every step her voice got louder and louder, tip toeing my way down the hall, the sound seemed to be coming from my room. Twisting the knob slowly, I bust threw the door, finding not a soul or ghost in sight making it stop all together.