Chapter 48

*Dominic's POV*

This would be the second time in the last month that I opened my eyes to a hospital room and I'm not liking the odds. This has to be some world record or something, I mean come on.

As I lay here unmoving in this germ filled, white walled room, I wondered how my life got to where it is now. Or mostly just my girlfriend's life.

She's been attack twice in two months, stalked by a psycho killer, and to top it all off she is now laying in a hospital bed.

Wait?

I need to get to her.

Moving as fast as my body will allow I stepped out of bed with no problems, opening my door I found the front receptionist and talked her into giving me Kalahni's room number. Careful not to tear my stitches I scooted to her room, trying to get away from mine as quick as possible considering I just seen a nurse go in there.

Arriving at her door, I opened it slowly to find Nico and Yvette standing over her bed side looking completely miserable.

"Dominic?" Yvette cried, rushing to me. "Sweetie, what are you doing out of bed?" She threw her arm around me.

Surprisingly, I had to stop and catch my breath, must have got a little winded on my walk up here. "I needed to see Lahni and that she was okay."

I wouldn't know since I passed out just as the police showed up. "We're still waiting on her doctor." She pouted. "I just checked in on you, Nico and I have been jumping from room to room."

"You checked on me?" I asked, a little surprised as she nodded. My own parents didn't even check on me when I was in the hospital, hell they never even showed the fuck up. "Thanks." I smiled warmly, appreciating the fact that someone actually give two fucks about me besides Lahni.

Just then her room door opened and in walked the same nurse I seen going into my room. Her dirty blonde hair was pulled back into a low side ponytail as her bangs framed her baby face. "I thought I'd find you in here." She smiled, pushing in a wheelchair.

Why the fuck are nurses so fucking happy all the time? I mean damn, you work in a hospital, people die here.

I averted my gaze sheepishly. "Yeah, you're not gonna make me go." I put my foot down.

She nodded. "I thought you'd say that, which is way I brought this with me." She smiled, gesturing to the wheelchair in front of her. "I don't want you walking you might tear your stitches."

I looked at the wheelchair skeptical. "I don't need that..."

"It's either this or bed." She gave me an ultimatum.

"He'll take it." Yvette answered for me in a parental tone while I nodded frantically.

After taking my blood pressure the nurse left. At first I was just putting up a front for the nurse, pretending like I was really going to use the chair but then when she left Yvette made me sit in it, soiling my plan. And when Nico finally spoke up it was to crack jokes about me and my wheelchair, luckily Mom ended it before he barely even begun.

"Have you called my parents?" I asked Yvette but not taking my eyes off of Kalahni as I began playing with her fingers.

"Yeah." She sighed in disappointment and that was all she needed to say. I knew one afternoon with my mother wasn't going to change the fact that I was one big shitty mistake to them.

They don't want me, never have.

"It's fine, I'm use to the absence." I shrugged but inside it's tearing me up. Easier putting up a front than to tell the people you love what you're really feeling instead.