The Harper Cousins

Oliver

Splash!

What the hell? I jerked up from my bed, dripping with water. I wiped my face to see Deacon standing in my room, holding a bucket.

"Why the hell did you do that?" I reached over and grabbed a shirt, wiping off my face—wrong choice. But, damn, I need to do laundry. I tossed the shirt into the hamper.

"We start college next week, and you're sleeping your life away," Deacon said.

"What do I have to look forward to?" I gave Deacon a look.

"Stop moping. It's not good for the soul or you." Deacon shrugged as he tossed the bucket.

"People wallow when they're feeling down. It's an instinct."

"Conner not calling you after you lock lips doesn't constitute wallowing. Plus, you didn't call him."

"He's busy."

"With what?"

"Not calling me."

Deacon's right eye twitched. So how does a person argue with logic?

I kicked Deacon out of my bedroom so I could change. But, instead, someone knocked on my bedroom door. Christ. Can't a guy dress in peace?  I swear if Deacon throws water at me again, I'll punch him.

I whipped open my door. "What?"

The person didn't answer as I stared at Conner, who's standing in my doorway.

"Is it a bad time? I can come back," Conner said.

"No! It's not!" Deacon said from downstairs.

I left my bedroom and walked over to the railing. "Shut the hell up, you tool!"

"Stop moping! A mopey Oliver is an annoying Oliver!"

"Go jump, Gia!"

"Ooh, good idea."

Deacon left as I rolled my eyes. Now I know why Tori sat on his head. I strolled into my bedroom and contemplated sitting on my bed. Ah, what the hell?  I found a dry spot and plopped my buns down.

"I hadn't heard from you since our kiss. Did you not enjoy it?" Conner asked.

"You came to my house to ask if I didn't enjoy our kiss. Are you on crack?" I arched a brow.

"Well, I hadn't heard from you since the party."

"Because you didn't call or visit."

"I'm confused."

"That makes two of us." I sighed.

Conner sauntered over to my bed. He sat down next to me as I looked at him.

"So," he said.

"Yeah?"

"I like you. You like me."

"We aren't a big happy family. It's not Barney. If you want to ask me out, then ask."

Conner's eyes widened. I didn't get the concept of dancing around questions. Directness is my motto. If you like someone, you ask them out. It's not that complicated.

I waited, then sighed.

"I'm not good at relationships," Conner said.

"What relationship?" I arched a brow.

"Well, asking someone on a date."

"A date doesn't mean a relationship. Two people eat dinner together, deciding if they like each other. That's the problem with people."