Shopping

Oliver

Since Nana and Grandpa moved in with Grammy, we're staying at their house. Good luck, Nana and Grandpa. Grammy wields a mean frying pan.

It was a temporary stay until the police and fire department investigated the house fire. Don Wilson is a dick. Who the hell firebombs someone's house because you become obsessed with your kid? Don's logic escaped me.

It didn't matter because my feelings for Conner deepened. I'm not sure if it's love, but it's damn close.

After settling in, I had to buy clothes. Yeah, I love shopping. Rolls eyes.

"How about this one?" Conner held up a shirt to me.

"That's ugly. Shouldn't you have fashion sense?"

"Why?"

"Some guys have it."

"I'm not one of those guys." Conner put the shirt on the rack.

"I found your clothes," Deacon said, tossing me clothes.

I caught them. Well, it's a start. I tried on the clothes while my dipshit cousins shopped. Remind me again why I brought them? The psycho twins have zero styles and dress in clothes from the wrong decade. Who the hell buys a leisure suit?

I found clothes that suited my personality. I'm more of jeans and tee-shirt guy. After changing into my clothes, I gathered the other clothes and took them to the counter. The cashier rang them up then stared at me.

"Are you sure you can afford these clothes?" The cashier asked me.

I glanced at the total of one thousand dollars and change. "Do you think I can't afford to buy clothes?"

The cashier looked me over. Do you know how people look at you like you live in poverty? Yeah, that's how the cashier looked at me.

"Lady, I would appreciate less judgmental looks and doing your job. I've dealt with enough bullshit to last me a lifetime."

The cashier's eyes widened as my cousins and Conner made their way to the checkout.

"What's the holdup? We're hungry," Kayden asked me.

"This twit refuses to finish the transaction."

"Why?"

"Because she doesn't think I can afford clothes."

The cashier took a step back and reached for a button.

"Please tell me you aren't alerting the cops," Kayden told the cashier.

"I don't need thugs threatening me," the cashier said.

"Whoa! Hold up!" Deacon said, stepping towards the counter. "We're not thugs. Crazy, yes, but not thugs. You need to check yourself."

"Please leave before I call the cops," the cashier said.

"Well, if you call the cops, tell them the Harpers and O'Neills say hi," Grayson said.

I shook my head. "I would rather shop without judgment than with it. It's people like you who set us back hundreds of years. You stand there passing judgment on strangers without knowing their story. I don't know who raised you, but my parents didn't raise me to be an asshole."

I walked away and reached the door.

"We'll leave a nice review for your expert customer service skills," Grayson said.

The others followed me as we went to another store. Some people miss the point of human decency. Well, the point smacks them in the face, and they still miss it.