Funerals suck

Maggie

The older I get, the more I hate losing people. You never think someone will die until they do. I attended my first funeral in college when Pat's dad passed away. Since then, I had to say goodbye to my family and friends.

I sat with the remaining brothers as we stared at Nixon's casket.

"This is the first time Nixon is at peace," Nolan said.

We gave Nolan a strange look.

"I'm not sure if he was ever at peace."

"Not with landing him in the clink with you," Nathan said.

"You seem to make a habit of becoming a jailbird, little brother," Noah said.

"It's not my fault. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time," Nolan said.

"You got arrested because the police caught you and Nixon at a prostitution house," I told Nolan.

"A guy has needs." Nolan shrugged.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. Only Nolan would comment on getting himself and Nixon arrested.

"It's weird," Noah said.

"What is?" Nathan asked.

"It doesn't feel like the Gray brothers without Nash and Nixon."

"Because you had a tight bond with each other," I said.

The brothers glanced at me.

"I understood that better than anyone. You fought, but you loved each other until the end. Nash understood that better than anyone when he made you and Nixon the girl's Godfathers. We trusted you," I said.

"It was an honor to become the quints' Godfather," Nathan said.

We sighed.

"Oh, Nixon, my love," Marco said.

I turned to see my brother with Jasper. He wiped a tear away. I stood and hugged Marco.

"I still say Nixon was in denial."

I snickered.

"But it's a shame. The world lost an amazing man."

"Yeah, the world and we lost an amazing man," I said.

"Well, damn. We could go a few more rounds," a voice said.

I saw Frazier with his wife. I couldn't help but smile as I walked towards him. We hugged.

"We'll still have Ecuador," Frazier said.

"Yes, you will," I said.

People filled the funeral home to pay their respects to Nixon. Family, friends, and people who Nixon helped as a minister. It was lovely to see how many people loved the twit.

After everyone found their seats, Kain walked to the podium. We watched as he unfolded the paper.

"I know Oliver will preside over Dad's funeral, but I wanted to give his eulogy. Kaiden, Kaxon, and I talked. We thought who better than to give it than me. Well, I had help with the writing. Dad wrote it."

My brows furrowed as my mouth opened.

"When we asked if Dad was working on it, he said a sermon. We didn't know he was writing his eulogy. Bare with me." Kain sniffled and wiped his eyes.

Yo! Family and friends,

In case you're wondering, I wanted someone to give me my eulogy. Who better than me? Most people mourn when someone dies. I understand that better than anyone. I watched people grieve when they suffered a loss. I saw the heartbreak and pain. It means people loved the person.

Death is not the ending but the beginning. We continue our journey as our love engulfs our family and friends. I told Nash about my diagnosis. I didn't think he would beat me to the grave. Big brother always has to show me up. I kid. I miss that tool. He was my best friend and brother.

I grew up with four incredible brothers. They helped me when I needed it. My folks loved me when I was unlovable. Maggie gave me a run for my money, but she introduced me to my kitty Kat. I had the honor of having sons, grandsons, nieces, and nephews.

Larkin and Parker were my favorites. Shh, don't tell the others.

I don't regret my life or the people I affected. I made people laugh and brought joy to them. If you dispute me, then you're lying to yourself. God, forgive the heathens.

Before there's an ending, there's a beginning. We start our lives with hopes for a bright future. We have missteps and make mistakes. It's what we learn from those that make the difference. Everything is a learning experience. If we don't learn, we don't grow. Keep growing.

I don't want to ramble anymore. So, I will leave you with my final words. You honored me for welcoming me into your life. Thank you for loving me when I needed it. Thank you for the laughs.

Now, onto the next chapter of my life.

Forever and always
Nixon

We sobbed as Lex got up and walked over to Kain. Kain threw his arms around Lex and sobbed. Kaiden and Kaxon made their way to Kain, engulfing him in a hug.

I comforted the brothers as people hugged. A light dimmed today as we said goodbye to Nixon.

******
Oliver

I walked towards the front as Kain sat down. I stood in front of my family and friends.

"It's funny. I visited Uncle Nixon and asked what he was working on. I didn't realize it was his eulogy. Who better than to say a few words about someone than themselves?"

People dabbed their eyes and sniffled.

"I had a chance to learn from Uncle Nixon since I'm becoming a minister. He taught me that everyone needs compassion. We struggle with our daily lives, but we have people who help us. Let's honor Nixon in his way. If you reach under your seat, you'll find a gift from Uncle Nixon."

People reached under their seats and found cans of silly string. Then the first shot was fired as everyone sprayed silly string at each other. I smiled as people laughed while getting covered in silly string.

You can have a proper send-off for someone like Nixon without doing it his way. He suggested the idea to me, and I honored his wishes. Everyone should have their final wishes honored.

*******
Maggie

Today didn't surprise me. I knew Nixon would plan something crazy. It fit his personality.

We cleaned up as the funeral director led us to our cars. I climbed in with the brothers as Nathan drove. The girls rode with their kids. We followed Kain, Kaiden, Kaxon, and their spouses as they trailed the hearse. It took fifteen minutes to arrive at the cemetery. We emerged from the cars. I counted the number of cars and stood there, shocked. Over one hundred cars pulled into the cemetery.

Marcy, Macey, and Brook walked over to the brothers as I stood in awe.

"People can't say people didn't love big brother," Nolan said.

"Yeah," Nathan said.

Noah nodded as they turned and entered the building. I stepped away from the car as I stared at Nate, Pat, Nash, and Nixon. They smiled as tears fell down my cheeks. They turned and disappeared with the wind.

A smile curled upon my lips as the clouds moved and the sun shined. Today we honor a beloved man and say goodbye.

"Ma, are you coming?" Lyric asked.

I turned to see the kids waiting for me. I smiled as I hurried towards them. I don't have the brothers, but the next best thing. I have the kids.

Our immortality resides with our children. They carry our legacy, passing it onto the next generation. As each member passed, a new member would take their place and carry on their legacy. I learned this when I met the Grays. The Harpers would prove a legacy would live on as more family members arrived.

Whatever the future holds, we would handle it with strength, love, and laughter. It's the Gray/Harper way.