You have crazy, then you have crazy

Jayden

After my encounter with some crazy woman on Thanksgiving, our dads sat Kayden and me down with Erin. You can't help but have questions. Erin explained what happened, showing us reports from Child Protective Services and the police. Kayden and I read through the paperwork.

"Why would they find us after all these years?" I asked.

"When CPS investigates the home of endangered children, they make several visits. The parents comply, or they remove the children. I received a call about two infant boys neglected with the parents abusing drugs. A neighbor filed the complaint," Erin said.

Kayden blew air past his lips.

"Your birth parents went to jail. The state put you in foster care. When the case went to court, your parents signed off their parental rights. Hayden and Markus petition to adopt you," Erin said.

"How did our dads find out about us?" I asked.

"Larkin mentioned to Kain that your dads wanted to adopt a baby. I introduced them to you and your brother. They fell in love with you," Erin said.

We glanced at our dads.

"My parents didn't accept my homosexuality and kicked me out. Your aunt Leslie worked to support me. I didn't have much family until I met Markus. But I never wanted to treat my kids the way my parents treated me," Hayden said.

"We didn't steal you from your birth parents. We loved you the minute we met you," Markus said.

People fail to understand how important love is between family. Family doesn't always come from blood. Sometimes, it comes from people wanting you. Kayden and I could have stayed with our biological parents. Who knows where we would be? Shouldn't a child have a chance at growing up? Doesn't a child deserve people who love them?

"Those people aren't our parents," I said, surprising our dads and Erin.

Kayden nodded in agreement.

"We don't know them, and the woman struck me. Parents don't hurt their children. They love them even when they do stupid shit," I said.

Markus and Hayden snickered.

"You're our parents. You loved us and gave us a home," Kayden said.

It didn't matter to us who our birth parents are. Who wants to associate with homophobic assholes who use skin color to prove their point. They don't have one. You lose credibility when you spew hateful words from your mouth.

"Erin, how did Kayden and Jayden's birth parents find them? We had a closed adoption," Markus said.

"When children turn eighteen, the courts can unseal records. It's a lot of legal red tape, but possible. Most people who give children up for adoption choose a closed adoption to keep their name private," Erin said.

"Can these people cause problems for us?" Hayden asked.

"Well, the boys are eighteen. Their birth parents don't have legal rights since Michigan considers them adults," Erin said.

"I'm good with our birth parents not having legal rights. They aren't our parents," I said.

Everyone looked at me.

"They didn't take us to the hospital when I broke my arm. They didn't comfort us when we were sick, hurt, or had a nightmare. They didn't read us bedtime stories or cheer us on when we did something good. They didn't love us. Our dads did. They're our parents. Who cares if they're gay or white or lack fashion sense?" I asked.