Romance in the air

Oliver

My parents spent the evening with Matt and Nora, leaving me alone. I didn't mind. Someone knocked on the front door. I answered to find Conner standing there with a pizza and a two-liter of Pepsi.

"I wasn't sure if you had dinner," Conner said.

"Not yet because I couldn't decide on what to eat."

"Well, I have a pizza, and I don't think I'll finish it. Do you want to share it?"

A smile curled upon my lips as I stepped aside. Conner entered and carried the food and pop to the kitchen. He set the pizza box on the table as I grabbed two plates and glasses. I brought them to the table and sat down.

I lifted the lid and grabbed a slice of pizza as Conner did the same. I glanced at Conner as we ate.

"If you wanted to hang out, you didn't have to show up with pizza."

"I thought I was smooth."

I chuckled. "Okay, I'll give you points for creativity."

Conner grinned.

I finished my pizza slice and grabbed another one.

"I like this."

"Like what?"

"I can spend time with you and not worry about the craziness in my life."

"I get enough craziness from my family. Sometimes, it's nice to chill out without getting dragged into a mess."

"I had time to think."

I glanced at Conner.

"I don't want my past to hinder me. Nixon told me that I can't always save people. The best I can do is take care of myself."

"My uncle is wise. It's the reason I chose to become a minister. I want to make a difference."

"You have."

I cocked my head at Conner.

"You see me. Most people treat me indifferent. It makes life difficult and lonely. You're the first person to talk to me like a human being." Conner shrugged.

I leaned back in my chair and looked at Conner as he ate. Most people wouldn't visit you in the hospital besides family. They wouldn't sit with you and fall asleep next to your bedside. Yeah, we tangled with the Wilson brothers when we were younger. We didn't know the real reason.

Conner ate his pizza as I sat there.

"You make it easy to fall for you."

Conner's head snapped up. "What?"

"You have this quality about you that endears me to you."

Conner stared at me with his mouth full. He chewed and swallowed.

"I told my dad about my side job because of you."

Conner's eyes widened.

"I realized if I wanted a chance at happiness with someone, I had to change a few aspects of my life. I didn't want to drag you down with me. You've been through enough with your family."

Conner swallowed hard. "What are you saying, Oliver?"

I'm a man of action over words. Not everyone believes words, but they believe in actions. I moved from my chair and put my hands on Conner's face. Then I kissed him. He tensed, then relaxed as he kissed me back. He put his hands on my waist as I deepened the kiss.

No one has ever made me feel the way Conner does. I broke from our kiss and pressed my forehead against Conner's.

"Does that answer your question?"