Until the next time

Oliver

After the funeral and gathering, I came into the house and plopped down on the couch. Conner joined me as Dad carried in a bag of food. People love to feed someone when a family member dies. Mom brought in flowers.

"Funerals don't bother me, but this one hit hard," I said.

"Yeah."

I glanced at Conner. "Are you okay?"

"It's hard to know someone who cared about you isn't here. Nixon helped me when I left home. He gave me a haven."

I slid my hand into Conner's hand.

"Even though Nixon isn't here, it doesn't mean you don't have a haven."

Conner glanced at me, then leaned over and kissed me. No matter what happened, we would be okay.

******
Kain

Dad's funeral left us drained. You never realize how much someone affects your life until they die. Kaiden and I also had to take care of Dad's last wishes.

I sat at the table with papers scattered.

"We have to clean out the chapel," Kaiden said.

"Yeah. The old man wouldn't want it to stay shuttered. He loved that place."

I picked up a piece of paper and glanced at it.

"It sucks." Kaiden blew air past his lips and ran his hand through his hair.

"Death is not the end but the beginning."

Kaiden gave me a look, and we understood what Dad meant. I leaned back in my chair and rubbed my chin.

"What?" Kaiden gave me a look.

"What if Dad meant to pass on his legacy to family?"

"Huh?"

"His legacy was helping people achieve their true potential. Dad didn't mince words. He wanted people to learn the truth. He used humor to help. What if we carry on his legacy and give people a chance?"

Kaiden cocked his head and scratched his face. Then he realized what I meant. Out of grief comes love. Dad knew that better than anyone.

Our immortality resides in our children and family. They carry our legacy. Who better than a cousin who's studying ministry?

I pulled out my cell phone and made a call.

*******
Oliver

Conner and I sat on the couch when Dad came into the living room. He handed his phone to me. I took it and placed it against my ear.

Can you meet us down at the chapel?

"Yeah."

Good because we want to discuss something with you. We'll meet you there tomorrow.

I hung up and handed the phone back to Dad.

"What did Kain want?" Dad asked me.

"He wants me to meet him and Kaiden at the chapel."

Conner and my dad looked at me. I wasn't sure what they wanted, but it has something to do with a conversation between Nixon and me.

*****
The next day, Conner and my dad went with me to the chapel. I turned the doorknob to find the chapel unlocked. We entered as Kain and Kaiden brought out boxes from Nixon's office.

They set the boxes down on the floor.

"Dad was a packrat," Kain said.

"No kidding," Kaiden said.

We walked over to them.

"Hey, Oliver," Kain said.

Kain and Kaiden greeted Dad and me, hugging us.

"What did you need?" I asked.

"Follow me." Kain waved me to follow him to the front.

I stood there as Kain looked around at the Chapel.

"We went through the paperwork, and it seems the old man wanted someone to have his chapel. Since neither of us is ministers, we wanted you to have it."

My brows raised.

"We spent many services listening to our dad preach. We watched him perform weddings and funerals." Kain strolled around the chapel, reaching the stage. He stood behind an altar. Kaiden joined us as we watched Kain. "Our dad found his calling at his darkest moment. He understood a higher power guided him to his legacy. We want you to carry on his legacy."

My jaw dropped as I stood there, speechless. Nixon mentioned the possibility of taking over his chapel. I thought he was flippant.

"We ask that you keep the chapel name."

I stared at Kain, then glanced at Dad. I didn't know what to say. Then someone slid their hand into mine. I looked at Conner.

"Oliver, if anyone can carry on Nixon's legacy, it's you," Conner said.

"Well, I have to finish school," I said.

"That gives us time to get the chapel ready," Kaiden said.

Kain stepped down off the stage and strolled towards us. "It would honor us if you carried on our dad's legacy."

I smiled. "I couldn't think of a better way to honor Uncle Nixon."

Kain and Kaiden smiled as I agreed. We discussed the exchange of ownership of the chapel. Until I graduated with a theology degree, Kain would retain possession of the chapel. When I graduate, he will give me the keys.

Something told me I would be busy after graduation with upcoming weddings.

******
We headed to the bakery as Uncle Lex brought out a tray of pastries.

"Look what the cat dragged in," Lex told Kain and Kaiden.

"Don't remind us, mini Nash," Kain said.

Lex chuckled.

"We have a new minister," Kaiden said, pointing at me and grinning.

"Your dad would flip," Lex said.

"Eh, our dad would have choice words for us," Kain said.

"Uncle Lex, can we get some muffins and coffee?" I asked.

"Sure." Lex grabbed muffins and handed them to us. Then he got everyone a coffee. Dad paid, and we sat down at a table.

The Gray Brother's Bakery and The Gray Brother's Chapel still stand with the changing hands of family members. We kept the brothers' legacy alive with what they love to do.

Sometimes, we need a leap of faith to discover our calling. Mine happens to be helping people. With the holidays coming, the family would gather to celebrate new loves and legacies.