It's a loser's bet

Oliver

After collecting money and placing bets, I kept the cash safe. It wouldn't matter because it's a sucker's bet. The first football game of the season was against Minnesota. Now, if it were State, I would place my bet on U of M.

I hadn't seen Conner since our lovely exchange. I would talk to him after the football game. Smooth things over and treat him with my payout.

As I strolled across campus, Deacon caught up with me. "Hey."

"Hey, yourself." I arched a brow.

"Conner mentioned your side business."

"Yeah, so?"

Deacon stopped me. "Return the money, Oliver."

"Why? If people want to make a losing bet, that's on them. I place their bets."

"Because this isn't high school.

"I'm aware."

"Then you know if you mess with the wrong people, it won't end well."

"Then people shouldn't bet on school sports."

Deacon gave me a look.

"People want to play with the big dogs. When they lose, they whine about it. My family owns many casinos, and everyone knows it's in the house's favor."

"Not everyone plays by the rules."

"Then they shouldn't play with fire, or they'll get burn." I shrugged, then walked away.

What my cousins fail to understand is I pay the winners while taking my cut. I take a thirty percent cut and pay people their odds. The ones who lose make losing bets.

I don't plan on being a bookie for the rest of my life. But I'm good at it. Plus, I figure I'll have to stop because my class load will become more.

******
Conner

I came home as Nixon was sitting in a chair, jotting down notes. "Are you working on a sermon?"

Nixon glanced up from his notepad. "I'm making notes of my assets for my will."

I furrowed my brows.

"I'm getting my affairs for my family. Frack is taking me to a lawyer to update my will. I never thought I would plan my funeral, but who better than me." Nixon smiled.

"At least, you can plan your life. I'm still working on mine." I sighed.

Nixon set his notepad down. "Kid, no one knows where their life is going when they're young. I didn't know I would become a minister until I landed in rehab."

"That's an odd place to figure out your future."

"You do a lot of souls searching when you're in rehab. You listen to many people who have issues. You discover your strengths and weaknesses. I discovered I'm not boring with preaching. Plus, weddings are fun."

I thought about what Nixon said.

"Hey, kid. What do you want? I'm not talking about careers. What is the one thing you want most?"

"A family."

Nixon looked at me.

"I want to come home and know someone is waiting for me. When I have exciting news, I can share it with them. When life gets hard, they'll hug me, reassuring me I'm still a good person. I want people who look at me with love. Is that too much to ask for from people?"

Nixon rubbed his chin. "No, it's not. Sometimes, family isn't blood. They're the people whose parents dump on you because they don't care. They're the ones who love your child when someone else took liberties with them. They're crazy, but you can't imagine your life without them. Or they're the ones you meet through your brother's girl. Your family are your friends and love ones who believe in you when you don't believe in yourself. I know, I had the honor of having those people in my life."