Here's a quarter, buy some sense

Jayden

I walked into the house, fuming.

"Jayden," Dad said. I stopped and faced him as he walked towards me. "I know you're angry."

"Angry? Nah, I'm pissed."

My dad looked at me.

"I'm angry because people see my color and not me."

"Those people are ignorant. They don't see that you're an amazing person who brings joy to your dad and me every day. When we got the call about you and your brother, we were over the moon. The moment I held you, I knew you and your brother belonged to us. You both made our family complete."

"Didn't it matter about our skin color?"

"Does it look like it matters to us about your skin color? We tried to keep you, boys, from injuring yourselves because you did some stupid shit."

I scoffed.

"Boys do stupid shit like break their arms or throw each other off beds."

I shook my head as I snickered.

Dad put his hands on my shoulders. "You and your brother are our life. You both mean everything to us. We will fight for you until the day we die."

I nodded. Markus and Hayden would fight for us. Markus pulled me into a hug as someone announced their presence.

"Come give Nana a hug!"

I pushed Markus away and hugged Nana.

"Man! You ruined my moment," Markus told Nana.

"Who cares? Nana supersedes your moment," Nana said.

Grandpa and I laughed.

"Where's Kayden?" Grandpa asked.

"He's chasing some floozy," I said.

"That boy is turning into a lothario," Nana said, shaking her head.

I chuckled.

"We had a slight issue today," Markus said. Then he explained what happened to Nana and Grandpa at the coffee shop.

"What a piece of....." Nana let it rip as she went on a tirade. We watched her. If anyone has ever met my nana, she doesn't play with us. Plus, she's freaking crazy.

"Lark, calm down," Grandpa said.

"Calm down? You want me to calm down. We're you dropped on your head as a baby?" She asked him.

"Jayden did the right thing and called Markus. Deacon dealt with the situation."

"I'll thank Lyric and Michael later for raising Matthew. Because Matthew taught his boys well."

Grandpa rolled his eyes. Kayden finally made it home. We stared at him.

"What? Did I miss something?" Kayden asked.

"Yeah, you missed a racist piece of shit at the coffee shop," I said.

"Say what?" Kayden arched a brow.

"It seems a worker treated your brother worse than scum and called him a particular name," Dad said.

"Oh, hell, Nah. That's the douche's first mistake," Kayden said.

"Well, Deacon taught him a lesson," I said.

"Good because I would have done worse," Kayden said, cracking his knuckles.

"If it were me, I would have used a baseball bat and used his head as a ball," Nana said.

Grandpa put his palm on his face.