Adjustment

Oliver

After the funeral, life calmed down somewhat. We started college. Grammy had to adjust without grandpa. It seems Nana, our aunts, and uncle had other plans for her.

*****
Maggie

I made a cup of tea, so I could relax and talk to Nash. It's the first time since the funeral that no one visited me. I imagined Nash being on a trip. It helped. I carried the teacup to the living room, then screamed and dropped my cup on the floor.

"Don't do that!" I said, grabbing my chest.

"We came to check on you," Lyric said.

Luna came over and picked up my teacup.

"By giving me a heart attack!" I said, trying to steady my heart.

"We worry about you since Dad passed away," Lakin said.

"I'm fine. Well, I was until you scared the shit out of me. What is wrong with you?"

My kids looked at me.

"Don't answer that because you want to help your mother join your father."

"Someone's a bit moody," Larkin said. 

I pushed my brows together as I pressed my lips together.

"I'll make you another tea," Luna said, going into the kitchen.

"I'm not incapable of making my tea. I'm old, not dead!" I said.

"I'm not sure how we should take that," Lakin told her siblings.

"Didn't you hear us come in?" Lex asked me while he cleaned the spilled tea.

"No, because I was in the kitchen."

"Maybe you should change the batteries in your hearing aids," Lyric said.

"I had replaced the batteries because your father would yell at me. I'm not a child."  I shuffled to the couch.

"Are you sure about that?" Larkin asked in a low tone.

"Yes, and stop whispering."

I sat on the couch as Luna brought me a cup of tea. The kids sat down in the living room.

"So, we've been talking," Lyric said.

I sipped my tea as my kids shifted in their spots.

"We thought you should move in with one of us," Larkin said.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because you're alone in this big house," Lakin said.

"A house I shared with your father."

"True, but Dad isn't here, and you'll be lonely," Luna said.

I arched a brow.

"When our grandparents got older, they moved in with family," Larkin said as everyone nodded.

"Your grandparents were active until their nineties. Grammy Gray was one hundred when she died. I'm in my eighties. I'm fine."

"Ma, we worry about you," Lex said.

"I'm fine. I survived your uncles, family vacations, your cousins, your kids, and my grandchildren. I'm sure I can survive living on my own."

My kids forget that I raised them along with their father. It seems they forgot I did most of the work, including birthing them. Now I understand why Grammy Gray gave Nate a hard time.