Problems

Oliver

The first football game of the season arrived, and I watched the scoreboard. I had a list of names and bets. After this game, my bookie days are over.

"What did your dad say when you told him?" Kayden asked me.

"Dad wasn't happy, but we talked," I said.

"My dad would kick my ass if he found out I was doing illegal shit," Deacon said.

"Well, Matt doesn't play with lies. You know with his honor and all," Jayden said.

Grayson snickered as Deacon rolled his eyes.

"Our dad, on the other hand, is all about deceitful behavior," Kayden said.

I shook my head.

"My dad would laugh," Grayson said.

"Because your dad is nuts. It's a known fact that Gingers are crazy," Jayden said.

"We are not," Casey said, walking over to us.

"Well, you helped Larissa hang some girls on a basketball net," Markus said.

"They deserved it. Don't mess with my woman, and you won't hang from a basketball net," Casey said with a shrug.

"I'm finding a seat since you're discussing the finer points of stringing a person on something," Matt said.

Markus and Casey argued about redheads as they followed Matt. The guys followed suit.

Dad walked over to me and handed me a pop. "This game is your last game, right?"

I blew air past my lips. "Yeah."

"Good." Dad joined the others as I stood there.

I hung back as my family sat in the bleachers, watching the game. I kept an eye on the score, writing down each quarter score. Minnesota was leading by seven points. I'll be glad when this game ends.

*******
Matt

We sat in the bleachers as U of M squared off with Minnesota. The boys were talking, and I noticed Oliver wasn't with us. I reached around Markus and tapped Mason. Mason glanced at me.

"Where's Oliver?" I asked.

"I'm not sure. I thought Oliver was behind me," Mason said.

"Oliver's getting some loving from Conner," Markus said.

I rolled my eyes as Markus tossed popcorn in his mouth.

I glanced behind me at Deacon. "Go find Oliver."

"Oliver is fine," Deacon said.

I gave a Deacon a look. He rolled his eyes and got up, making his way to the exit. I shook my head and watched the game.

*******
Deacon

I searched for Oliver until I heard arguing. I maneuvered toward the edge of the bleachers and saw Oliver with three guys. I leaned on the railing, listening to the argument.

"Look, you have to wait until the game ends," Oliver said.

"You gave me a sucker's bet. I want my money back," one guy said.

"All bets are final. I'm afraid I have to disagree that it's my fault you lost the first quarter. It would help if you had made a better bet," Oliver said.

"Then I'll take my money."

"You don't want to do that."

The three guys cornered Oliver. I recognized one guy from the coffee shop. What came out of his mouth blew my mind. I took off to get Dad.