Listen, red headed stepchild

Jayden

Kayden and I were arguing over the car for the umpteenth time when Grayson showed up.

"Is that all you both do is argue?" Grayson asked.

"Listen, red-headed stepchild. This conversation is an A and B conversation. How about you C your way out of it," I said.

"Cute. You had to bring my hair color into the mix." Grayson rolled his eyes.

Kayden snickered as I grinned. Grayson hates his red hair. Nash got his brown hair from his mom, while Grayson got his red hair from his dad.

"What's wrong with having red hair? The girls dig gingers," Kayden said.

"Yeah, what he said." I pointed at Kayden.

"Yeah, the crazy ones. Have you met my ma?" Grayson asked.

We laughed.

"So, what's up?" Kayden asked.

"Nothing. I figure I would come and harass you since everyone is busy figuring out life," Grayson said with a shrug.

Kayden and I laughed as Grayson grinned. We knew Grayson meant Oliver. I never met someone who searched for the meaning of life as Oliver did. I didn't understand the need.

As we talked, Markus came out of the house looking like a deer caught in headlights. We all looked at him as he walked towards us.

"Yo pops. What's wrong?" Kayden asked.

"Your grandfather Maverick called," he said.

"Is Nana okay?" I asked. Yeah, if something happened to Nana, it would piss me off. Nana is fantastic and loves to feed us.

"Your nana is fine," Markus said.

The three of us glanced at each other. What the hell is wrong with Markus?

******
Elias

Tori and I were hanging out when my phone lit up. I opened my messages as my brows furrowed. Tori touched my shoulder as I glanced at her.

"What's wrong?"  She asked.

I shook my head, showing her my message. We glanced at each other as we pulled on our sneakers. We left her house and headed for mine. When I got there, I found my family waiting for me.

"What's going on?" I asked Dad.

"Grandpa Micheal called," Dad said.

"Is Nana okay?" I asked as I glanced at my brothers, who shrugged.

Before Dad answered, we heard yelling. "This is bullshit!"  That was Grayson's voice.

My brothers and I looked at each other. We saw the cousins appear as each family entered the kitchen. From the looks on their faces, my stomach dropped. I looked at Dad as tears fell down his face, and he leaned on a chair to support himself.

"Will someone tell us what's happening?" Deacon asked.

Mom rubbed Dad's back as she looked at Deacon. "Your grandfather passed away."

"What?" Nate and Deacon asked.

I sat down in a chair as tears fell down my cheeks. Tori wrapped her arms around me as I cried.

"What do you mean?" Deacon asked. "He was fine!"

"He was having chest pains, and your grammy called an ambulance." Mom's voice broke.

What can you say when a beloved family member dies?  Nothing because it doesn't matter what you say. You can't bring them back.

*******
Maggie

I sat in a hospital chair next to Nash's bed and cried. I held the bag of his clothes in my hand as I sat there. I heard yelling as I wiped my eyes. I turned my head to see the brothers standing there, including the kids.

"The doctors wanted to take him, but I told them no. His brothers and children needed to say goodbye," I said as my voice choked. My bottom lip quivered as they made their way over to me—arms wrapped around me as I cried.

I glanced to see Lex as I nodded. I buried my head into him and gripped his shirt as I cried. He's the spitting image of Nash.

I experienced loss with Grayson, Grammy Gray, Pat, Nate, Jonas, Cayson, Karen, and Dominique. I watched a child grieve over death. Nothing prepares you when it's your husband. It's a different loss because it's another love.

I fell in love with Nash, and he gave me a family. Now he's gone.

"Maggie," Nixon said as he crouched in front of me.

"He's my best friend.  How do you survive without him?" I asked as tears fell down my cheeks.

"With some help from some crazy brothers," Nixon said as Nathan, Noah, and Nolan nodded.

I glanced at the brothers as I smiled, then I cried. The Gray brothers and I had our fights, but I needed them. I've always needed the brothers.

Everyone said their goodbyes as I sat there. They gave me time alone with Nash. I needed a few more minutes before I said goodbye.

I sat with Nash alone as I picked up his hand and held it. "You didn't prepare me for when you would leave. I wasn't ready. I'm still not ready."

I let out a soft chuckle as I wiped my eyes.

"Growing up next door to you was a treat. You would tease me. Then we became friends, which turned to dislike. I remember when you came home from Europe. You sniffed me."

I giggled as I sniffled.

"Between our difficulties, laughed, and love, you gave me the best life. I promised you that I would take care of your brothers if something happened to you. You made me promise. You said they needed someone to anchor them. You promised me the world so that I can keep my promise to you. I love you, Nash. And I'll see you soon."

I rose from my chair, leaned over, and placed a kiss on his forehead. I laid his hand down and turned to see the brothers with glassy eyes. I walked towards them as we looked at each other.

"Maggie, you promised to take care of us, but we promised Nash to take care of you," Nathan said.

That's all it took as I broke down and sobbed. The brothers helped me as the kids waited for me, along with their spouses, Marcy, Marcy, and Beth.

Family doesn't always start with blood, but it ends with it. My family came from the next-door neighbors who took me in and gave me a home. They provided me with love which I wanted and needed. Thanks to them, I fell in love, got married, and had a fantastic family.

I wiped my eyes and looked at everyone. "It's not goodbye, but see you later. One day, I reunite with Nash. Until then, I have all of you."

"Always," Noah said as everyone nodded.

The next few days would be rough. With the help of the Gray brothers, Gray sisters, and Gray family, we would get through it together.