Putting the Pieces Together

I sit down next to Lexi at the dinner table before mom and dad shows up. She looks over at me and questions, "so why haven't you been to the Curtis house lately? I heard you broke up with Soda, but I don't think that's why." I guess he got the vibe, that we were over. 

I look over to her and give her my best fake smile, "I don't know, I'm just trying to make new friends. I met them and just kind of gave up on making any other friends. I was starting to think, what would happen if I didn't meet the gang." Lies. 

"Uh-huh," she replies looking at me strangely. "So, it has nothing to do with the fact that it was the night of the party that you dumped Soda at." I dumped Sodapop the night of the party. Was that before or after Darry?

"Nope," I shrug. More lies.

"The guys miss you, well most of the guys. All, but two," she tells me.

"Which ones don't? Soda and..." I ask her.

"Darry thinks it's good you didn't come back after you broke up with Soda."

"Oh, that's weird. He's my-my my best friend. He's practically my brother."

"Yea, but Soda is his brother," she shrugs. "You're getting pretty fat, might want to lay off the junk food."

Fat! Sex! Darry! I look up at her and quickly say, "Igottago!" I rush out of the house before she responds and runs to the only place I know of, the DX. I run into the DX and grab three tests looking up to see the cashier is Steve. I place them down and Steve looks up to see me standing in front of him, sweating, panting, holding back tears, as I run my hands through my hair. "Whats wrong Dyl? Did you cheat on Sodapop? Is that why you dumped him? Is that what you needed to tell him at the party?"

"No," I tell him before getting an idea. "I have a question for you Stevie. Lets say hypothetically a person got really drunk, so drunk that they don't remember a single thing that happened and the next morning said person wakes up and finds out somebody slept with then. Does that count as cheating on your hypothetical significant other? We're learning 'bout alcohol abuse which is why I ask."

"No, and that's terrible!" He yells.

I look at him, "what?"

"That person was manipulated into sex. If they're so drunk that they passed out cold, it wasn't their fault," he fumes. "Was it you? Is that why you need those tests?"

"Who else drank that night at the party, in your gang which was my old gang?"

"Well, Two-bit, Dally and I, that's all." Darry wasn't drunk!

"Yes, it was me," I confess as I grab the tests and walk into the bathroom.

I lay the three of them down on the bathroom sink and walk back out to see Steve looking angry and upset. "Did somebody in the gang do this to you? Is that why you haven't come around?" I nod slowly. "Was it Two-bit?" I shake my head no. "Dally?" I shake my head again. "It wasn't me, I wasn't that drunk, I only had two." I shake my head to tell him it wasn't him. "The person was sober." I shake my head. "Sodapop did this to you. Is that why you two broke up?" I shake my head once more. "I'm confused now, the other three would never. But I guess they would."

"It was Darry," I confess as tears roll down my cheeks. "Now, I might be pregnant." 

He looks at my stomach, "you and Soda never?"

I gasp, "three days before the party and I was sick a few days after we did it, but before the party. This could be Soda's baby! Oh my god Steve!"

He smiles seeing me all happy, "actually, I vaguely remember Soda panicking two days before the party about how a condom broke. He told me he cheated on you though. Did you ask him to keep it a secret?" I nod happily. "You! You're the one the condom broke when he was with! This could be Soda's baby!" I beam as the timer goes off indicating that I have to check the test. I check and all three of them are positive. I look over to see him as I place a hand on my stomach, "you're pregnant? I'm an uncle?"

 "Steve, I'm gonna be a mom!"

"Yes, and you're gonna be a great one," he smiles. "Dylan?"

"Mhmm," I simply reply not break away from his hug.

"Can-can I tell you something?" He asks unsure.

"Anything Stevie," I shrug.

"Iloveyou," he blurts out as fast as he can.

"Wait what did you say?" I giggle.

"I. Love. You," he repeats slowly now.

"Steve, I'm so sorry bu-" I start as Soda walks in.

"I'm so sorry, I'm late Steve. Darry was ranting about some drunk girl at the party who he slept with, I wonder if that's why he's been so mad," he says. Me. He's mad at me? He was sober! I was drunk and I just broke up with Sodapop! I don't want to broken up. I'm sure I was heartbroken.

"Soda, he was sober, which means he either asked her or said yes. This girl was drunk and she might not even remember it. You know, if she doesn't remember it, she can trial him for rape? He knows that too right?" Steve asks defending me.

"My brother didn't rape a girl," he fights back.

"You never know," he shrugs as Soda sees me, my belly, and the tests.

"Are you?" He asks. I nod. "Is it mine?"

"I don't know Sodapop. I was the girl Darry, 'rapped'. I don't remember a thing that happened that night, I'm trying to figure it all out too, but I think it is. I heard your condom broke and I was getting morning sickness and I was craving strawberry yogurt my mother had that craving when she was carrying Kendall and I. We'll ask Darry later," I explain.

"Okay," he smiles. "Does this mean we're back together?"

"It was a drunk break-up and I love you Sodapop. I'm in love with Sodapop Patrick Curtis!"

"Yes! What about Darry?"

This is when the tears come. "I don't know. I love him, but not like that. I love him like a brother and not like this."

"Well, we know for a fact it's my kid?"

"Well, we are like 99.9% sure it is."

"Okay, I won't let Darry touch you again. Do you see it as rape?"

"No, I don't, I don't know what I see it as. He took advantage of me and made me look like the bad girl. I was drunk."

"Okay, calm down Dyl. We're okay and we'll face him tomorrow. I promise."

"Okay, I love you Sodapop."

"I love you too Dylan."