Chapter Thirty Seven

It was clear that Tana was taking Jason's advice seriously, however, he still could not help but feel worried about her. He knew she took on the world on her shoulders and forgot to look after herself. After the check up and having words with Tana, Jason had left her alone, knowing she was going to have a wash and get some rest. He felt that was best for her. As he had come out of her room and looked down the hall, he saw the crew medic also coming out of a room. He knew that was Chelsea's room and he knew medic was making sure she really was ok. Jason was a doctor, but he did not want to over take the medic's role and so he let them do what they need to.

Behind the medic, Jason saw Clark leave the room as well, and he looked up, eyes meeting Jason. They seemed to be silent but knew what each thought at that moment and with Clark turning and walking to his own room, Jason walked down the hall and followed him. They were very silent, as they both sat in Clarks room. Jason knew Clark was very protective of Tana and knew he would want to know how she was doing. Jason on the other hand had promised Tana he would not tell anyone anything about her heart, and so he needed to find words that were the truth but would respect Tana's wishes.

He simply told Clark that she was ok, just needed some resting, that she was over doing it like usual. It seemed strange to be having such a serious conversation with Clark. They had not spoken for years. After the events at the camp, Clark had become very distant. They had been good mates back in the day, Dillan included, but life changed for them all. They were grown men now, not kids or teens any more and of course their conversation would have a serious air to it.

One thing that Jason did not hide from Clark was the evidence of the fire he noticed that day on Tana's back. When Jason had first noticed the pattern of scars on her back, not hidden from the naked eye like it normally was, he felt so much sorrow for Tana. He wanted to cry for her. Not because it made her ugly and he hated it. No, he wanted to cry for her because he could only imagine how painful her life would have been when she first woke up from the fire. He knew she had lost her memory, but she had never spoken of any other health matters she had at the time. It was clear to him how seriously injured she would have been in that fire and he spoke to Clark about it.

It was the first time as well, that Clark was willing to speak to anyone about what had happened in the fire. While Jason listened and chatted, he had a feeling that Clark was still keeping something quiet about that night, but Jason did not want to push it. It was enough for what he heard about that night. How Tana aged twelve had been so frightened and in shock. Clark had tried to get her to move, to get her out, but it was not easy. It seemed like what happened at their work event was a near repeat of what happened that night at the camp. When Tana finally acted and moved, the fire in the cabin was completely out of control. She was young, but she was trying to be as brave as she could. The moment the roof came down, she had pushed Clark out of the way, saving his life, but in return endangering her own.

Jason was well aware that when the country fire service got the fire under control enough to go in, they was able to get Clark out, who was mainly just suffering from smoke inhalation. He was however, screaming and fighting them, begging them to find Tana, that she was trapped. The fire fighting crew went back in and fifteen minute later had come back out again, carrying a limp body. The thing they knew, all of them being held at a distant away from the fire, was that the fire fighting crew too Tana straight to an ambulance helicopter, and before the doors were fully closed, they could see a team working away instantly, to bring life back to her body.

They had all thought Tana had died, because they heard nothing and never saw her again. Her family did not communicate anything, which Jason knew why that was now. Tana had in fact died that night, but the team working their magic were able to bring her bad. The down side, she lost her memory and it now was clear to them, she had suffered a great deal. Together, talking about it, knowing she had been trapped under burning rubble, Jason and Clark agreed that it would have scared for life. It made so much more sense to them as to why she could not cope with memories of the camp, because it was too frightful for her.