Chapter 44

Ash silently walked through the corridors of the hospital wing. He hung his head low, as all sorts of thoughts and emotions that were ambivalent, flooded his mind. Time can pass by real quick. It has always been a common statement among people, but for some reason, he was feeling it now the most. How time had extreme speeded after that incident. He had waited and waited, patiently everyday just to have his ears blessed with a particular good news. Now, the reality has finally shifted itself according to his expectations. He still couldn't honestly believe this was happening. It wasn't a dream either. It was in fact, the reality.

Pikachu, who was sitting on his self-claimed shoulder, gazed at Ash. The rodent's face was a cake of happiness and sadness, with a little bit of pity as the toppings. It raised its small, yellow paw and patted the back of its trainer's head.

"Pikapi? Pika Pika chu," it said, soothingly.

Ash smiled.

"Thanks Pikachu. I know I can always count on you," he said appreciatively, with a nod.

The others were back waiting at the lobby. They decided it would be best to let Ash go alone in this. He kept walking through the familiar surroundings as he have been here before a couple of times. He could see his mother's room from a distance, as his heart suddenly started to pump excitedly. When he was a few feet away, the door of the room opened. A man wearing a white apron came out with a tab in his hand. He noticed Ash and quickly formed a smile.

"Ash," Dr. Richard greeted and extended a hand out in a polite gesture.

"Nice to see you again Doctor," Ash replied and returned the gesture with a genuine smile on his face.

"Likewise," he replied.

"So.....um how-?" Ash tried to say, but Richard understood what he was thinking, as he interrupted him.

"I just finished the check-up. Physically, she's completely fit and fine," he said and paused. Ash frowned a bit. The doctor sighed.

"She's still in a bit shock after we delivered her the news, but surprisingly, she's been holding up better than we expected. That Mr. Mime has been a great help," he said.

"Mimey's always amazing," said Pikachu which only its trainer understood. Ash nodded in agreement as he again questioned the doctor.

"You said she woke up last night from her coma, right?" he asked, recalling their phone call.

Richard nodded. "Technically she did. But as soon as she woke up, a wave of exhaustion took over her body as she fell asleep shortly after that. Most probably, due to the sudden change of flow in her body that led to that aftershock," Dr. Richard explained.

"What.....d-did she say?" asked Ash as his voice almost broke.

The doctor smiled.

"Where's Ash?" he quoted the older woman's statement. Ash softly laughed at that, as his eyes automatically shifted its gaze.

The trainer then remembered something as he bowed respectfully to the physician.

"I can't thank you enough for everything you-" he started to say, but the Doc quickly pulled him up from his bowing position.

"Thank me all you want later Ash," he said in a gentle tone and pointed towards the door.

"Right now, someone's eagerly waiting for you inside," he said and walked away from him towards the lobby.

Pikachu jumped from Ash's shoulder. It walked towards the locked door and placed its small yellow paws on it.

"Pikaaa Chu," it said looking at its trainer with a contented face.