Chapter 27

"It's funny to see each other this way Ash," said Tobias with a smirk.

"Well, what can I say? Couldn't have a better chance like this as a rematch, could we?" said Ash, chuckling.

"I should have known you weren't any ordinary trainer when you performed so well against my legendaries back at the Sinnoh League," Tobias said with a serious tone.

"I still lost that match," Ash uttered quietly, "But I am going to win today," he now spoke with determination and confidence.

Tobias smirked. "Let's just see about that, shall we?"

Referee decided to finally make the call.

"This is an official battle between Champion Ash and Challenger Tobias. Each trainer will have the usage of six pokemon. The battle will be over when either side pokemon are unable to battle. Substitution and Mega evolution are allowed. Trainers, send out your first pokemon," he said as Tobias took out a pokeball.

"I might have changed my battling style over the years," Tobias said as he enlarged the ball.
"But I always begin a battle with these one," the trainer finished and threw the pokeball.

The crowd erupted into cheers and shouts when Tobias's signature pokemon materialised in the battlefield. The Pitch-Black pokemon opened its only exposed blue eyes, similar to its trainer and released a dark aura around the stadium, reminiscing people's darkest fears.

"Geez wh-what's with the cr-creeps," Bonnie stuttered as she rubbed her skin to stop the fidget.

"Ye-yeah. That's one creepy pokemon," said May.

"Darkrai is known as the pokemon of nightmares, so it's quiet usual to feel frightened in its presence," said Lillie.

"I remember the time Ash and I visited Newmoon Island in search of a Darkrai," Goh said as the others looked at him.

"We never got to catch it, but it sure gave us a multitude of bad dreams," Goh said with a shiver as he recalled the memory.

"And Tobias's darkrai is well trained and strong too, not to mention his other legendaries," said Brock with a frown.

"Why isn't he a Champion or Elite Four yet, if he is so strong?" Calem asked in a genuine tone.

"He is a mysterious one," Gary spoke this time. "I don't think he is after the titles or anything. He just wants to battle against strong trainers around the world, same reason he has challenged Ash for." The others looked at Gary and thought about it. It sure was very cryptic and mysterious.

"Look. Ash is about to release his first pokemon too. I wonder who will he choose?!" exclaimed Sawyer.

'I think I know,' thought Brock before looking at the battlefield.

"You have defeated it before and I believe you can do it again," Ash whispered to the pokeball in his hand before throwing it.
"I choose you."

A green bipedal pokemon appeared. Its sharp deadly eyes narrowed at its opponent like hunting for a prey. It pulled out its signature twig and put it in its mouth. The forest pokemon sneered when it saw the nightmare pokemon. Darkrai glared back at the gecko, recognizing one of the very few pokemon which had managed to defeat him.

"Battle Begin," the referee gave the call as Ash gave his command instantly.

"Use Leaf Blade."

Sceptile dashed towards the dark creature at a ridiculous speed, with long agonizing glowing blades of leaf.

"Use Poison Jab," Tobias countered as Darkrai's fist filled with the poison energy and countered the gecko.

Both pokemon collided with an explosion. The dust cleared and everyone saw how ruthlessly they were at each other's throat, slashing and punching, looking for an opening to strike. Everyone looked awestruck as they continued to watch the battle.