Chapter 25

Damien's POV:

Its been days... weeks even... everything has changed. With (Y/N) gone its been difficult for me to keep it together. I miss her more than anything... It's breaking my heart being away from her. I just want her to come home where she's safe. I'd go out there and bring her back but leaving the camp is forbidden until we have increased the stability of the walls. On top of that I have a new job around the camp... looking after Sally.

Sally isn't quite her anymore. She's now a witch. I've never seen a child turn into a witch but at least she isn't dead. The only problem being she doesn't let any survivors near her. I don't know if its from fear or aggression. She won't even let her mother near her. She cries louder when she comes close. She is healing well other than that.

I look out the window of our room wishing (Y/N) would just appear at the gates. Its been torture without her. Her smell has faded from the room and my heart breaks without feeling her touch. The rain on the window just reminds me how lonely I feel without her around.

I turn away from the window and see Sally fast asleep on the bed tucked into the covers. I seem to be the only one she trusts right now. I have to protect her from the survivors and even the infected who seem to not care she is around. I slowly walk over to her and gently sit on the bed stroking my finger slowly down her cheek making sure my claws don't touch her now porcelain skin. I move the loose brown strands of hair off her face as she shuffles a little against the pillow waking up from her dreams. Her little green eyes still bright as before and not red like the other witches I have encountered. She smiles softly showing her now sharp teeth, as she sits up she wraps her arms around me making sure her 6 inch claws don't accidently cut me like she had done the first few times she had hugged me.

I hug her back smiling before picking her up and leading her to the bathroom to help clean her up and check on her wounds. I close the bathroom door behind me as I gently place her down onto the floor. I turn on the tap in the bathtub and start running her a bath then I pick her back up and place her onto the bathroom counter where I help her brush her teeth. Somehow the infection hasn't worn down her bones like it does with the common infected so I'm not too worried about helping her brush her teeth. Once her teeth were clean I help her take off her clothes and I could see her freshly closed wound running along her stomach. Every time I see it I can't help but remember that day...

Holding her lifeless like body in my arms, the feeling of her warm blood dripping down my hoodie. The smell of fire and blood flooding my nose. The sounds of screams and roars surrounding me as I rush her inside through the bloodshed and chaos to her mother who was stood there screaming and sobbing her heart out trying to find her precious baby while people ran past her without a second thought. 

I feel Sally's small hands gently wipe the tears I didn't know I had shed off my face and smile softly,

"I'm okay Damien..." she said through her teeth. She has only just been able to talk again the last few days without it hurting her. I smile and kiss her forehead softly making her giggle. I picked her up and place her into the bath and help wash any blood and dirt off of her. We are hoping that her teeth shouldn't grow any larger for a while so the blood shouldn't be coming out of her mouth anymore.

Once she was clean I helped dry her off and when I dried her hair with the towel she giggled making me smile more. I walk her back into the bedroom and grabbed a cute puffy pink dress and helped her get into it without tearing it. I put her hair into pigtails with bows as it was a special day for her. Today Sally is going to see her mother again but this time in the same room. Up until now they have only seen each other through a glass screen for the mothers protection until Sally was more stable.

Sally sat on the bed staring blankly at the door. "Is it safe... to see mama???..." she asked clearly worried. I knelt down in front of her and nodded as I take her hand in mine and kissed it softly. 

"Everything will be fine Sally... I will be there the whole time" I say to her bringing a smile to her face. I pick her up and hold her on my hip as I walk over to the door and look down at her. "You ready???" I ask her as she nods in response. I open the door as she shields her eyes a little from the bright hallway light. She slowly moves her hands away from her face after a few seconds and holds onto my hoodie looking at the people around her clearly worried. 

I smile down at her and stroke her head softly holding her close which seemed to ease her a little. I start making my way down the hallway passing some of the other survivors who smile and wave at Sally which also seemed to help ease her worries more. Once we got to the meeting room door sally had a small smile on her face and was barely holding onto my hoodie which was a great sight to see.

Placing her down on the ground softly I kneel in front of her and smile to her and lifts her hands up to my face and kisses them softly.

"I'm so proud of you Sally. You've come a long way since that day... I'm gonna be with you the whole time okay so if you feel scared or angry then please look at me and know you are safe and you aren't going to hurt anyone while I'm here... You're the strongest little girl I've ever met... Remember that," I say to her in a reassuring tone as I could tell she was still nervous about meeting her mother again. 

She nodded her head as I stood up and opened the door walking in with her. The rooms walls were a soft pale blue with posters scattered across them ranging from information about the green flu and about how we all must stick together to make our lives happy again. In the middle of the room was a large table that could easily fit 12 or more people with colouring pages and colouring pencils and pens scattered across it. In one of the chairs Sally's mother sat patiently waiting for us. She had a clean bandage on her left cheek and fresh scars along her arms from the previous times she tried to see Sally.

As soon as she saw us she jumped up and her face lit up with happiness but she didn't approach yet as to not frighten Sally. I'm so glad that she still loves her daughter even though the horrible things that have happened to her and it hasn't discouraged her from trying. Sally looked up to her mother and smiled and slowly let go of my hand before slowly making her was over to her mum as she held her hands against her chest while I closed the door. 

I stood back and watched as Sally's mother knelt down in front of her with her arms open wide.

"Sally... my beautiful baby girl. Its okay, I love you so much" she says as sally gently leant against her mothers chest and slowly wrapped her arms around her as they held each other close and tears were shed by them both. It was a beautiful sight to see... the only problem was it didn't last very long.

All of a sudden the siren blared making sally quickly let go of her mother and scream out in pain and cover her ears. Her happy tears now became tears of pain and anger. I ran over quickly taking my hoodie off and wrapping it around Sally's arms and head. Before I could hold her Sally's mother wrapped her arms around her daughter and shushed and did the best to soothe her. Resting her head on Sally's and pulling her into her chest so one ear was covered more and her hand covered the other.

Sally looked up at her mother in shock that she was still has loving to her like before the infection. Sally buried her face into her mothers chest as Nick barged into the room breathing heavily. 

"Damien... we need you... you need to see this" he said almost panicked which wasn't like Nick. I looked at Sally's mother who gave me a reassuring nod. I nodded back before getting up and running over to Nick.

I could see the doctors and soldiers running around trying to get a room ready for someone. I was confused but once I got outside it all made sense.