You Get A Confusing Message! And So Does Everyone Else! Chapter 38: Marella POV

So, let me make one thing clear: I had barely been updated on any of this. So when I stepped outside and saw the thing, my first instinct was to leave it to everyone else. They never let me help, even with my scarily powerful ability, so maybe I shouldn't help. But I was part of this mission for a reason. So I stepped closer to investigate. Wisps of something in the air. I could make out a few shapes, but not the entire message. Wait. I concentrated and the tiniest of flames ignited. I took a deep breath. I most definitely was not comfortable with my pyrokinesis, but I had a theory on what would happen. I took another breath and let the flames spread to my entire hand. I held it out and, sure enough, the smoky shapes ignited. I fought the urge to read them and swept my hand over the entire area, revealing a burning message.
The sons of shadow
The daughter of flame
The children of water
The sons of light
The girl of earth
The offspring of diamond
The alchemist
The heir of love
The unseen weapon
The shielding of swans
The seer of hearts
The readers of thought
Former leader of Rome
The changeling of war
The child of lightning
Uh-oh... I turned and ran back toward the house. I bolted through the door way and smacked into Linh. She grabbed my shoulder.

"I was just looking for you." She said. "I saw... A message. Something about the sons of shadow, children of water..."

"Same. Come look." I led her outside. "I felt this urge to set the wisps of smoke on fire and it just appeared," I told her.

"This is the exact same as the one in my room," Linh breathed. That's when I noticed her wet shirt and hair.

"What were you doing in there? You're soaked." I said.

"Thank you, Captain Obvious." I've taught her well. "I was practicing my ability after Dex's incident because," -she smirked- "I have control issues." She blinked innocently. "That's why I soaked Dex after extinguishing the fire."

"And what does that have to do with anything? You don't need to soak yourself to practice. Just like I don't burn myself to death when I'm practicing." I emphasized.

"It scared me. There was steam in the air and my water washed over it and it appeared right in my face," Linh shook her head. "I dropped the water that I was controlling over my head and I had to come tell you and I didn't have time to dry off."

"Okaaay. What does it mean? Did the others get it too?"

"Why don't you ask?" A voice asked. Aaaand Tam melted out of the shadows of a tree.

"You have got to stop that! One of these days I'm going to fling a fire ball and-"

"The answer is yes," Tam said, "and it was way creepier. This inky ball of shadows appeared in front of me while I was planting a prank for- I mean looking for Dex and wouldn't go away until I shot it with an arrow."

"I'm assuming also made of shadows?" I interrupted.

"No, rainbows and glitter."

"Okay. And it said the same nonsense about children of water and flame and all that wacko stuff?" I asked him. He nodded.

"We need to get everyone together. This has to have something to do with the quest and the doom prophecy." Linh cut in.

"You got that right." I agreed.