Explaining To A Probably Nonexistent Person Is Fun: Chapter 37: Annabeth's POV

There was absolutely no logical explanation for what was happening, which probably meant it was real. I was unconscious, talking to a person in my head. Maybe it was an elf. Some of them were telepathic. Anyway, he had said his name is Keefe. Weird name, but okay. It was fine. I was totally not going crazy.

"Where are you? Are you... Dead?" I thought. It was a weird question, but I mean, Nico could talk to the dead. Maybe the elves had that kind of thing too and he was communicating from whatever the elves did when they died.

Keefe laughed. Can you laugh in a mental conversation? "Um... No. But I did almost die like a month ago and am now in a coma, so... Yeah." Harsh.

"Do you know about... All the stuff that's happening right now?" I thought.

"Wait. What do you mean?" Keefe asked. He doesn't know about this then. The demigods and prophecies.

"Well, it's another death prophecy. It-"

"Death prophecy? What? You mean saving the world. The Neverseen? Vespera? My mom? Or is it my dad trying to buy Earth? That sounds like something he would-"

"I don't know what you're talking about, but no. A little tiny thing called a prophecy. You know, the Oracle issues a rhyming death sentence that you have to decipher? We go on a quest that sometimes gets people killed? Do you know how many friends I've lost? Beckendorf and Silena and Bianca? And... Jason?" That one was so hard to think about, but I so wanted him to understand. "Or Luke?" That one hurt even more.

"Woah. Okay, way more of your people died than my people. Mr. Forkle One, Councillor Kenric, Jolie, well, that was before I was born... But still. And Calla." I didn't know who any of those people were, but I understood the loss he'd gone through.

I explained what little I knew about the elves and the prophecy. Then I had to back up and tell Keefe about demigods, gods, and the wars and prophecies.