22 ~ Just Breathe

Pairing: Bucky x Reader

Warnings: Panic attack, crying, shaking, PTDS to physical and verbal abuse, lots of cursing, hyperventilating, mentions of a noose, lots of angst

Prompt: "Look at me, focus on me - just breathe." AND "I'll hold your hand until you fall asleep."

A/n: Today's topic: Comfort🥰

Fighting was all that could be heard

Fighting was all that could be heard. Back and forth, the attacks of harsh, masculine voices could be heard through every wall of the compound. It was one of those instances, Steve had gone rouge when Tony specifically told him to stick to his plan, completely putting the mission at risk of failure. It was achieved, but barely.

Another voice had chimed in. Sam. You weren't sure what he did, however, he could just be stopping what violence could become of the current situation. "HEY! ST-" Sam began but was quickly stopped when a fist harshly met with his jaw. As quickly as it all had started, the loud argument had begun again. At that moment, your brain was on fire with memory after memory. Countless times you were used as your mother and father's personal punching bag. Walking to school with a limp, bruises on your back, arms, legs, and chest. No one ever thought to ask why you would show up with a black eye, or a swollen lip. No one would care.

The walls of the compound were very thin. Even down the 3 different hallways on the living quarter's 45th floor, you could still hear every word. Loud and clear. "YOU RUINED THE MISSION! YOU PUT EVERYONES LIVES IN DANGER AND FOR WHAT?!?" Tony screamed at Steve. Ferociously grabbing at your ears to cover them, you did just the thing everyone was not expecting. You screamed. You let out a blood-curdling scream. And boy, did it feel good. "STOP FIGHTING!!! JUST STOOOOOP!!!" You sobbed, sitting in the corner of your room, with your knees to your chest. Visibly shaken by the disturbance of what was happening outside the closed door.

Silence overcame your room. For a solid minute, you kept count, it was quiet. Not lasting for more than one minute and a half, loud and tyrannical voices emerged from the silence. You hurried your head in your hands, screaming as though no one was there. Loud enough for someone else to hear. Never truly hear what the voices were saying anymore, you turned your focus to the sound of the hail hitting your window. The tap tap tapping of the ice-cold rain hitting the glass. Drowning out the voices was next to impossible. And you knew that. Even with all the thoughts in your head, you knew you could never fully get their loud voices out.

It got so loud, you didn't even hear your bedroom door open. Or hear the footsteps walking briskly towards you. There was a presence felt in the room, but not enough for you to look up. The touch on your shoulder made you jump. As looked up, you saw Bucky. His soft facial features calmed you down. A couple notches down, but not enough to stop the hypervention occurring in your lungs. "Buck-*gasp* I c-c-an't-t *gasp* breathe!" You choked out. You scratched at your neck. It felt like a noose was wrapped around it so tight, there was no hope in getting it off. "Look at me, focus on me - just breathe. Little one, breathe with me." You had a hard time at first, trying to match your breaths with his. Gasping for air, sucking in as much oxygen as you can.

With help, Bucky pulled you up off the ground and onto your bed. He sat with you, held you in his arms, and whispered everything was going to be alright in your ear. You held onto him. As tight as your arms could squeeze. He held you just as tight, just as close. You just wanted to be safe. And he was doing an amazing job at it. But the sounds were still coming from outside your door. And they were as loud as ever. You unwrapped your arms from his torso and covered your ears, leaning into him more. This lead to Bucky wrapping both his arms around you protectively. Helping to shelid the violence surrounding your ears.

After a while, sobbing turned to whimpers, yelling turned to silent bickering, and a simple friendship turned into a loving, blossoming relationship. There are always still arguments between Steve and Tony. And those nights your Bucky would stay by your side until you fell asleep. He would kiss your head, both your cheeks, the tip of your nose, and lastly plant a passionate kiss on your soft lips. Always saying one thing before 'goodnight.' "Don't you worry little one. I'll be right here. I'll hold your hand until you fall asleep. I love you my little dove. Goodnight."