three.

CHAPTER III. Butterfly Pea

year 2019.

The next Saturday came and you were, in every way, not ready for it at all. You forgot that vacation was nearing and since it was semester break, Hange decided to join the wave and not do any real work while yours doubled for some reason. Erwin was fine with vacation, especially since you were accompanying Hange, he knew that you were going to help Hange have a good time. But how was he to know that the person who requested for the holiday actually goad you into the master plan.

Erwin even requested a souvenir from where you were going even if it was the neighboring town of L'Mayre, not that you would assume he was familiar with the town. Most of the townsfolk in Aelindr never left their town so you were left intrigued and in wonder. 

You met Mike and Nanaba when they brought pastry for Hange before your departure. The two were responsible for the smell of bread every morning tempting you to eat every time. They told you that Petra and Levi send their regards, of course you doubt that Levi would do even think about sending anyone anything but a restraining order.

You met another person from town as well, Hange's intern named Moblit, the accused person who soiled his pants in eighth grade. He was thinking of taking anthropology like you and Hange did so he decided to intern under Hange. You could remember the bright smile he had on his first day when he learned that you were going to excavate something so early in his internship.

Poor soul, he doesn't know what he dragged himself into.

With the last bag packed on the back of the pick-up truck, Moblit has started the engine and the three of you left Aelindr at exactly ten in the morning. You didn't know what you were supposed to do in L'Mayre so you brought enough to buy you trinkets like every person on vacation does. The only problem was you can't seem to find the word vacation or holiday when Hange brought you to the excavation site and given you a designated bivouac because there was no money involved for leisure and real beds.

Now you were here, away from society and in the middle of the desert like place that separates L'Mayre and Aelindr. Your tent was enough for you but the heat was too much and, again, L'Mayre was somewhere beyond the horizon. This was probably why nobody had dared left Aelindr to visit L'Mayre, and the other way around, when this desert was as far as the eye can see.

You just want to go home already but as Saturday comes to an end, home will have to wait for four days.

Thankfully Hange had plans to finish vacation until tonight before getting down to business the next day. Over the course of your time in L'Mayre, you've come to learn that Moblit was not the best kind of drink and Hange didn't have time to get drunk. While Hange was present with you in one of the bars, the endless pile of textbooks you brought to the trip were the things Hange made good friends with while you tend to a crying Moblit. 

Sure, you were drunk too but something about Moblit makes your hungover envelop your mind quickly than coming over the morning after. Somehow the fun ended in just one day and you were greeted with the scrolls one not so fine Sunday morning.

Three days in and you had nothing to do in vacation, you were already defeated by your own work that you had to raise your white flag in surrender. You didn't make any progress with the scrolls Hange gave you, to be honest you didn't know anything written down even in the scrolls you obtained from the library. And given your very sad attempts, you were spending your time more outside rather than with a seat, a desk, and a shit ton of parchments. Being a vacationer didn't sound right. Is there even a word for people like you? A person who needs a vacation from their vacation.