nine.

CHAPTER IX. Feferfūge [Old English (OE)- Feverfew]

ġēar 850.

And in an instant, the sun began to kiss your skin.

After the small agreement, you were tasked to accompany them to the inner wall, Wall Sheena. The man was there, as well as the commander. So was the dozen of men clad in jackets with the insignia of the Military Police on their backs. If you weren't forced to look as if you weren't having a heart attack, you might be in one right now.

So far, no one has recognized you except for the people you've been under the custody of. And if they did, they were doing a great job at making your anxiety levels spike. After all, you were certain that you were supposed to do something about titan analysis. You were also sure that the walls were built to keep the titans out. Being in the innermost wall was basically watching a town center play through the windows of the castle. Other than being useless, it was showing your fear of engaging with this things.

You looked at the man beside you, the corporal as his subordinates called him. His injury being the reason he wasn't allowed to participate in a small experiment they were doing today. Being an outsider, you didn't know what it could've been. Your thoughts were more honed to the irony of your placement during your first day out on the field as an unofficial rookie of the Survey Corps. 

Like, what were the pastors preaching the walls for? Was it necessary to caress the walls like that? Is the king inside the carriage they all are escorting? Why did they need the Survey Corps then?

A thousand problems, or what seems to be a thousand, kept adding up inside your train of thoughts. Must be a problem in the mind.

"You're thinking about something, what is it?" he asked you, snapping you out of your thoughts.

"The walls..." he knew you were thinking of it but decided to still ask, "Some people think of it as if Gods built them."

He tched, "Because they're stupid."

You looked around with subtlety, "How are titans going to appear here?"

And as if it had listened to your small questions to implore their existence, a loud sound of an explosion sounded off a few blocks away from where you were. It was immediately followed by a plume of smoke that reached the rooftops. The commander of the MP immediately asked his subordinates to check what had just happened. 

People were shaken by what happen, clearly fearing what was about to happen as well. They were compiling to a small group, all of them looking at the direction of the explosion. Despite the commotion and the distress creeping onto the MP commander, the Survey Corps remained unfazed.

Ah, the experiment.

Your commander told the other to dispatch his troops immediately, "We must assume a titan has appeared."

"There are humans called titan shifters." the man clad in black beside you told you out of the blue, "They can transform into titans at will and they can regenerate any part of their body. We have one in custody and we're trying to capture the other, both discovered to have these powers this year. What do you make of it?"

You shook your head, "Nothing as of the moment, I still haven't seen one."

"It seemed that you should've been spectating from the walls."

He sent a quick look at you then back to the smokes. A small blur of yellow, black, and flesh somehow jumping up from the scenery of houses. You can see the smoke created from rubble after every building that has been demolished entirely with the titans strolling along the streets. If all goes according to one of their plans, there should only be two titans it seemed. There were no signs of other giants so it must've been according to plan.