Chapter 21

Avery's POV.

I literally felt my walls breaking down. Everything I built to keep him out was crumbling down, faster than I could handle, so I gave up and finally let him in.

"I don't know." I said honestly, after a while of silence and he looked confused.

"I really don't know!" I repeated, my voice louder than before but being tied down by stupid emotions.

I felt my eyes heat up and well up as I tried to blink the threatening tears back.

I inhaled and exhaled.

I couldn't continue to bear the burden alone so I decided on telling him, already.

"I woke up in an orphanage, with a suitcase and a letter signed, your dad or was your dad." I forced myself to keep my voice steady and not release an iota of tear like a weakling.

"The letter said a lot of hurtful things like that I was the cause of everything and he wished I was never born. He said he regretted having me as a daughter and he wished he was never my dad."

This is it, what I've been holding to for a really long time now.

That I'm a mistake.

The tears I tried to hold for what seemed like ever slowly trickled down my cheeks.

Right now, I felt more helpless than that day at the orphanage.

I didn't want to meet Ian's eyes. I didn't want to see the look of pity they probably held by now.

Ian moved closer to me and wrapped his hands around me while consoling me, stroking my hair.

His arms were warm and I left myself relax in his embrace but I needed to let him know everything, so I continued.

"He also stated that I was diagnosed with serious amnesia without telling me the cause." My voice came out croaked and muffled by his shirt as I leaned into his chest.

"Mr and Mrs Harris are not my real parents. They adopted me when I was six and I moved into the orphanage when I was three. From that day, I occasionally had nightmares that always made me cry in reality but I never remembered them when I woke up. Sometimes, I see things and sometimes I have trances but I never recognize anyone because of the amnesia. I still don't know what my life was like before the orphanage. The person who claimed to be my dad, never cared for me but for himself so for some reason, I took every male in the world to be that way, hence my hatred for you."

I finished as more tears strolled down my cheeks. "Well, all males except Mr. Harris and Kyle."

Now that I said it, it sounded lame because now I knew him. Now I knew Ian and he was far, so fucking far from who I assumed him to be.

I rose to my feet and he did too.

Ian immediately reached for my face and wiped my tears.

He cupped my face and stared directly into my eyes.

"I'm honestly sorry about your past." He started slowly and dropped his hands from my face to my hands.

"Thanks for sharing it with me...but you really need to let it go and focus on the things that make you happy." I could hear the hesitation in his voice like he was picking his words carefully.

"I'll give anything to see your beautiful smile because there's obviously something wrong with the universe without them. But don't you ever feel not loved, violet. I love you. I always have and I always will, even if you're not the easiest person."

It's true. I couldn't counter his straightforwardness there. I know I'm not the easiest person to deal with but here he is, still standing by me, no matter how many times I had tried to push him away. No matter how many times I had tried to hide things from him, no matter how many times I had hated him. He never for once left me.

The ones who see the sadness behind your smile, stick with you on the sunny days and even closer on the rainy days are the ones you need to let in.

"Ian." I said, wiping my cheeks, with the back of my hands.

"Yes, Violet?"

I breathed in and mustered enough courage to speak the truth.

"Is it bad if I've loved you but covered it up with hatred?" I asked stupidly and mentally face palmed myself.

He looked suprised at first but then his genuine smile made its way to his lips

"Nope. Not at all." He said, wrapping his hands around my waist and pulling me closer to him.

I stared into his emerald green eyes, feeling relieved that I finally told him everything and he held the stare equally.

I felt his fingers play with the stray ends of my hair and for a quick second, his eyes flickered to my lips, before he leaned closer and his lips met mine.

I shut my eyes and savored the taste of his lips on mine before wrapping my hands around his neck and kissing him back as I instantly felt my knees slightly go numb.

After what felt like my own heavenly moment, we eventually pulled away and stared at each other.

As at now, my breathing had turned up it's speed a mini percent.

I could already feel my cheeks heat up and— not butterflies but—  bees in my stomach who wouldn't stop dancing because my hatred finally broke down.

He hugged me tightly, and I couldn't help but look up at the beautiful starry sky. It was the perfect night to be with the perfect person

And I was glad I had that person.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Thank you guys so much for the reads, votes and comments. I literally appreciate everything. You're all amazentastic.
I'm also glad that I finally got to the bridge of this book, it's worth a celebration. This week and last has been really stressful. I think this is the most updates I've ever done in few days. But credit goes to your support because it keeps me moving. Thanks again and stay amazentastic. Lots of love.❤️❤️❤️