Chapter 17

Avery's POV.

I felt like Olaf from Disney's Frozen. You may ask why?

Because. I. Was. Freezing.

But, heck, even Olaf never froze to death.

My teeth were chattering, my nails felt like heavy acrylic, my eyes were aching and my hands were dead cold.

I could really use some of those warm hugs, Olaf.

I honestly wanted to leave. I didn't belong here and I didn't even get what they were talking about. Daphne was right. I was just sitting here, on this chair, as they kept talking about work and it was taking forever.

Ian was pitching in at some points. I noticed he didn't want to let his dad down even if controlling this company is not what he wanted. Daphne has been giving me the stink eye, from across me, ever since Ian chose to stick with me being his P.A. Meanwhile Mr. Wayne has been interacting well with the other.... workers?, Associates?....

You know what? I'll just call them the gang in suits.

What? It's cool.

My toes were curling up with nervousness while the rest of my body felt like it's going to turn into perfect ice anytime soon.

I wish I could throw a bobby pin into that air conditioner and damage it for good.

Ian glanced over at me then held my hand squeezing it in his.

Somehow, the contact sent warmth throughout my body.

Unfortunately it wasn't not enough.

Curse agreeing to put on an off shouldered dress.

An eternity later, Mr Wayne closed the meeting and everyone left the room leaving only Ian and I there.

"Glad that's over." Ian said, slumping down on the seat, turning it to face me.

"Tell me about it." I agreed, facing him too.

I guess he noticed how frequently I've been rubbing my arms to ignite heat because his next action had me really grateful.

"Wear this." He said, taking off his blazers and tossing it to me, then stood up and turned off the air conditioners.

Stubborn me would have argued but freezing me gladly accepted the blazer.

"Thanks." I said, gratefully, putting it on.

"Sure."

He returned to his seat, in front of me, keeping our knees only inches apart.

We sat there in silence for a while until he finally broke it.

"Are you coming for the gala?"

"What gala?" I asked, a bit confused.

"Dad's holding it this evening to raise funds to support the fashion world newbies."

"Wow. That's really nice of him." I said

"Yeah. So, you coming?" He asked.

I'm actually really tired of this. I want to stay back at home and eat ice cream but for some reason, I still want to spend time with Ian.

"I'm not so sure. I can't leave Kyle and Isla home alone." I said

"Oh yeah. But I'm picking you up at 7, in case you change your mind and dress code's black."

I tilted my head and gave him a quizzical look.

"And I did promise you a tour around this place."

"You didn't exactly promise." I pointed out.