Chapter 23

Avery's POV.

It's Wednesday and coach is freaking out because he still feels we aren't ready for the game on Saturday.

Ian and the guys are trying to assure him that everything will be fine but he keeps hyperventilating the second someone misses the net.

It's usually kind of funny but we're not worried because we know we're gonna make him proud.

With the effort he is putting in, I'm not gonna miss that game for the world.

I shoved my textbooks into my locker before I heard someone call out.

"Eerie!!!" And before I knew it, I was engulfed in a tight hug from Ryan

"Ryan, you're crushing my bones." I said, half breathless and he let go, as I spotted Valerie standing beside him.

I smiled at them when Ryan intertwines her fingers with his.

They started dating a week ago and I was happy for both of them.

Finally, Valerie would stop day dreaming about the day he'd ask her out because it already happened.

"Sup." He said casually and I gave him a blank look.

"You couldn't have just said that instead of squeezing the bone juice out of me?!"

"Sorry." He said, laughing, his gold eyes gleaming.

Yeah. Even if he was right about his color of eyes, I'm still sticking with calling them gold.

They're so unique.

"You're staying back for practice, right?" Valerie asked and I nodded.

"With coach losing it, do I have a choice?" I said, making them laugh as we headed to the court after Val and I made our way to the girls locker room to change.

When we arrived, coach wasn't there yet, So people were doing random things.

I was standing at the corner of the court, scrolling through Instagram when someone wrapped their hands around my waist from behind, almost making me scream in fear.

I relaxed when I inhaled the familiar cologne, immediately knowing who it was.

I turned around to face him.

"Jeez Ian. You scared me to death." I said.

All he did was mimick me screaming in a girly high pitched voice making me punch his arm playfully.

He laughed.

Then his expression turned a bit more serious.

"What happened?" I asked, curios and he stared directly at my eyes for a while before releasing his hands from my waist and holding my hands instead.

"I need to ask you something." He said, leading me to a level on the bleachers.

He sat on the immediate lower level to where I sat, then turned to face me before speaking.

He took in a deep breath. "If you could, would you want to find your father?" He asked cautiously, afraid not to hurt my feelings by bringing the topic up.

Little did he know that I now felt more comfortable talking about anything with him.

Honestly, I feel better talking with him. He's totally relatable and he makes me feel so much better than before when I used to lock all the bad memories in a box in my head to keep causing me pain and worries.

"Actually? Yes. I still have so many unanswered questions." I said casually.

His lips slowly spread into a smile as he studied me.

I looked at him for a while before speaking.

"What the hell are you smiling at?" I asked casually.

"Nothing." He shook his head. "Hey, wanna go snowboarding after practice? The snow on the hills are still pretty thick."

"I don't think I can. I'm sorry." I said apologetically.

"Come on." He groaned and rolled his eyes before pouting. "Please... Don't be a loser."

"Loser?"

"Yeah. Only a loser would be scared to go snowboarding." He said smirking.

"I'm not scared." I said, rising up for my stretches.

"Are you sure? Because it pretty much looks like it." He crossed his arms and looked at me with his mischievous green eyes.

"Is that a challenge?"

"I don't know. Is it?" He said, answering a question with a question.

I narrowed my eyes and looked at him and he did the same and that went on like forever.

Loving dares and challenges, I finally said,

"Fine. Challenge accepted."

"Cool. At six?" He grinned

"Six ,thirty." I suggested

"Five, thirty." he argued

"Six." I said

"Six it is." He proclaimed, finally getting what he wanted, just as coach came in and we started practice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:

I have an explanation for late update but it's too long.

Love y'all.

_laere.