Chapter 24

Avery's POV.

The cold weather pricked my skin and my hair got caught in the damp air as I raced on my snowboard, down the hill, with Ian close behind me.

If I'm not good at anything else, I am definitely great at snowboarding. I haven't been snow boarding all my life because of the weather here but I guess being an awesome skateboarder had something to do with it.

I got to the end of the hill and slowed my pace, yelling in victory, because I beat Ian to it.

Seconds later, he arrived at the bottom of the hill.

"I let you win on purpose." He said, picking up his snowboard.

"Yeah right." I said and he laughed.

"How come you're so great at this?"

"I used to skateboard. I guess they're not all that different."

I made my way to a nearby bench, he sat down beside me.

"That's nice." He looked at me, his green eyes, literally scanning me. "But I'm not letting you win again. Rematch?"

"Son, I'm going to beat you again. Over and over again if I have to." I stated, rolling my eyes at him.

"Sweetheart, if you're scared of losing, you know you can just say it, right?" He stood to his feet.

I gave him a knowing look and crossed my arms over my chest. He did the same, giving me that knowing look and crossing his arms too. And that went on in silence

"When and where?" I asked, accepting the challenge.

"Right now, right here." he said before dropping his snowboard, climbing over it and starting before me.

I gasped when I realized he was cheating.

"Hey!!!" I yelled, getting on my own snowboard and racing after him.

I narrowed my eyes as the cold burned them but I didn't slow down on the board. I was determined to beat Ian.

I soon caught up with him, held him to stop him but he lost his balance. So did I and we both fell over, rolling down continuously in the snow.

By the time we stopped rolling, I couldn't stop laughing. Ian laid beside me on the snow, laughing too.

I can't remember when last I had this much fun.

We did a few more rounds and tricks in snowboarding, talked about random things and topics before heading home

*~*

The days went by pretty fast, the temperature slowly increased and the snow eventually melted away.

Won't lie, I kinda missed the soothing snow.

Soon, it was Friday.

The game was Saturday and Ian and I wanted to finish up our practice today so we planned to meet at Astros Field after school.

I stood in front of the mirror and used a white scrunch to pack my hair in a ponytail, wincing at the pang I felt inmy head as a result of the head ache I was feeling.

I put on a white crop hoodie and black ripped jeans, preparing for our practice.

On my way to school today, the snow had entirely melted and the streets were now damp, sort of.

Ian was supposed to pick me up any minute from now.

I ran over to my shoe rack and grabbed my  white Nike Jordans, ran back to my bed, put them on and felt a bit dizzy as I stood up.

Note to self: Get some minor medications when you get back home.

It was probably the weather.

I went to the bottom of my closet where I usually keep my basket ball.

I squatted and opened the drawer. Sighting the basketball amongst the whole lot of junk stuff that were also there.

I tried to reach it but whenever I did, the ache in my head only got worse.

Okay. What the heck is the problem with this head ache?

Would it hurt you to just be calm until after practice.

I grabbed the basketball,

Yay.

As I tried to get off the floor, something from the top of my wardrobe fell straight for my head thereby, surprisingly knocking me out completely, leaving me unconscious.

*~*

Ian's POV.

"Mrs Harris?" I called out, knocking on the door of the Harris residence.

"Krown?"

"Ma'am?"

"Sir?"

"Mr Harris?"

"Noah?"

"People!!" I called out again before someone finally opened the door.

"Hi!!!" I said, waving at Krown, Avery's mum, who had a welcoming smile on her face.

"Ian, how are you?" She said, stepping aside to let me in.

"I'm great, thanks. And you?"

"I'm quite, fine. Uhm.." she turned to the direction of the stairs before turning back to me, "Avery's upstairs. She should be down any minute from now."

"Alright."

"In the meantime, come and have brunch with us." Mrs Harris said, walking to the kitchen.

"I'd love to but I have to refuse. I'm sorry, I'm not really hungry." I said, in the nicest way possible.

She dropped her hands on the table
"Ian, honey, do I look like your crush? There's no need to be shy, come on."

Christ, I almost burst out laughing at what she said.

"No, really. Thanks, I'll pass." I said genuinely.

"Whatever you say, but you're missing a lot." she said just as Mr Harris came down the stairs.

"Ian!!!" He called out my name and pulled me into a bone crushing hug. "How are you doing, son?"

"I'm fine. Thanks." I said, when he let go of me.

"And your fam?"

"Likewise."

"That's great. Extend my greetings, would you?"

"Yessir." I said and he ruffled my hair before going to sit with his family at the dining table.

I loved the bond they shared as a family and their vibes. It looked so cool.

"Avery!!!" Mrs Harris called out, "What is taking her so long?"

"Uhmm.. maybe I should go check on her." I suggested before making my way up the stairs.

I got to a hallway with doors on either side and I identified Violet's room because it had a signboard that stated thus,

'Isla, Kyle.. STAY OUT'

I went for it and knocked gently on the door.

"Violet?"

No response.

"Violet, it's me, Ian."

No response.

"Uhm..are you okay in there?"

Still no response.

"Violet?"

That did it. I opened the door and was shocked to find Violet laying unconscious on the floor.

~~~~~~~~~

_laere

A/N: so so sorry for a late af update. I've been extremely busy and Ill. I concluded the first exam I had, thank Jah, I passed although I have two more to go. We already started the second one but I fell ill and had to get back home.💋

Either way, love y'all Amazentastic people