7 - Birthday Wish

I wore a long shapeless white dress that Cinna had made long ago. The only other time I wore it was several years back when Peeta and I had gone on our first dates after getting back to Twelve. The dress was simple, but elegant. I left my hair down and pinned the front sections of it to each side of my head.
My simplicity would probably offend Effie who always insisted on making an elaborate entrance to everything in life, but my style was me, and Peeta loved whatever I wore. After all, it was my birthday dinner.

I took another look at myself and then walked out of the bedroom. Peeta was whistling like he always would when he was working on something. As I walked closer, I realized he was setting up the table.
"It looks great." I said.
Peeta turned to see me and smiled happily. "Gosh, you look beautiful."
I rolled my eyes but Peeta insisted I did look beautiful.
"Well I do have to surprise you, so go into your room and I'll call you when it's time."
"But--"
"I'd love for you to see the surprise now, but that would defeat the whole purpose. Go on, I'll call you to come out."

I reluctantly nodded and did as Peeta said so. Again, I remembered then that Peeta loved to work in mysterious ways--usually surprises.
Twenty minutes later, I was summoned out of my room once Peeta eagerly called my name. When I walked out of the room, of course who did I see but the two old lovebirds, Haymitch and Effie.
"Happy birthday, dear Katniss!" Effie shouts, a very wide smile on her cheerful face.
Before I could reply, I took a look at the table that Peeta had been so protective over. I gasped out loud when I saw the cake, and the crackers with fondue, the strawberries and cream, and lastly the cheese buns. It was all so amazing! Especially the cake; it reminded me of Annie and Finnick's cake from what seemed eons ago.

"Peeta, I'm convinced you are the most thought person in this universe. You make everything so special!"
"And you mean the world to me. Happy birthday!"
Suddenly Peeta pulled me into him and we shared kisses, kisses, and more kisses. So much that I forget Haymitch and Effie were watching.
"My, my Sweetheart." Haymitch laughed.
"Haymitch, over here, they are having a moment!" Effie scolded.
Peeta and I pulled away and chuckled. "Sorry." There was a faint blush in both our faces.
Peeta cleared his throat and gestured to the table of food, "Come on let's eat."

After we all stuffed our faces, Peeta stood up with a long knife in his hand, "I hope you all like strawberry cake." He said as he divided the wonderful cake into four big pieces. I didn't know how it was possible to eat all that without feeling sick, but I managed.
"How about you open your presents, if you like?" Effie asked.
"Yeah, who wants me to open theirs first?"
"Oh, me, I do!" Effie said excitedly. Her bright purple lips curled into a grin and she handed me a wide circular box. "Here you are, Dear."
I observed the box; it was a very nice sturdy one that was clearly from the Capitol. When I opened it I was surprised to see that it was a hat. A very, very expensive one, though. A faint satin pink color embodied with lace and a small, dainty primrose on the right side of it.
"Oh, Effie, it's beautiful. Thank you." I sat it on top of my head to model it. Effie sighed at how good it looked on. 

Next was Haymitch's gift. It is a set of glass champagne cups. Each cup had a different kind of flower lightly carved into it. "These are lovely, Haymitch. I will definitely put these to use."
"Last, but not least." Peeta said as he handed me a small cream box that had a white ribbon tied over the top.
I looked into his dreamy blue eyes and smirked in wonder of what could fit into a box that size. I slowly undid the ribbon and watched it slip off and fall to the floor.
And when I removed the box lid, my hands nearly went numb. 
Effie and Haymitch both gasped loudly.

Inside that box I held in my hands was the promise of a lifetime. . . It was a ring. My eyes began to fill with water until I had to blink away the tears.
"Peeta, how on Earth do you do all this--"
He cut me off and took the dazzling diamond ring in his hands and got down onto one knee. I could hardly control myself and my tears. I know this is unplanned, but I can't wait. You have been there for practically my whole life, Katniss. I don't know where I would've been if I never met you those seventeen years ago. I wouldn't be here right now. You are the only one I see forever. . . So, Katniss Everdeen, will you marry me?"
I desperately tried to recover from the tremendous emotional knot in my throat, and finally when I did, I nodded fervently. "Yes, yes, of course! I will marry you Peeta!"

Peeta slid the silver, medium-sized diamond ring onto my finger. It shimmered before my eyes. "P-Peeta," my chin quivered, "I just want to thank you for loving me like no one else ever could."
"I know we've waited for fifteen years, and I thought that this would be a perfect time."
"I'm overjoyed . . . How do you always make my life so special?"
Peeta smiles and wipes the tears from my eyes, "Because I love you."