35 - I've Never Been Very Brave

Effie showed us our guest room, which was just as organized and glamorous as the rest of her house. All was peaceful and quiet until we startled to settle in, then the enormous crowd came cheering and calling our names, standing all over her front lawn.  Though the curtains were drawn, there was a slight burst of light that came through the curtains from time to time. 
All three of us sat on Effie's fuzzy hot pink sofa. I wanted to suffocate my head in her animal fur throw pillows. 

"How long have they been here?" I asked intolerantly. 
"Probably thirty minutes." Peeta replied, sensing my annoyance.
"And how much longer will they stay?" I asked, aggravated.
"Until we get out there, so they get what they want." Peeta replied.
"I am not going out there."
"I wish I could do something about this. . ." Effie bit down on her finger as she thought, "how about some tea? Tea would be splendid, wouldn't it?"
Peeta nodded cordially. "That would be great, Eff, thank you."

Effie made some jasmine pomegranate tea with lavender honey--which was an interesting burst of flavors. It still didn't fully distract me from those media maniacs. 
Effie bit down on her lip after we had drank all the tea. "They are still out there aren't they? Oh, dear--maybe I should make some cake now?"
 "Katniss I'll go out there." Peeta said, looking at me sharply.
"No Peeta, that won't do a thing."
"Yeah it will, they learned from last time, when we waited it out. They're not gonna leave until we give them their medicine."
"Yes," Effie nodded hesitantly, "as much as you don't want to show your face, Katniss, you're going to have to. They want to see the star-crossed lovers of--" 

"Star-crossed lovers?" I snapped.  
"Katniss, calm down." Peeta replied firmly. 
"'Star-crossed lovers' is so old and cliche. We're not the young, innocent teenagers we once were." I pushed myself up from the sofa and swiftly walked to the kitchen. I heard Peeta apologize to Effie as he followed after me.
"Katniss? Is there anything that we need to talk about?" He asked once he met me in the kitchen. 
I hesitated to speak as I stared at a big bowl of shinned fruit.
"Katniss?"
I eventually blew out a breath and stared at Peeta.

"Whenever they come, it reminds me of the games, every part of it. Flashbacks. Everything. It hurts." 
"I know, and I went through the same thing, but then I told myself--" 
"It's not about you!" I interjected, then bit down on my tongue. "Sorry."
Peeta took in a deep breath. "It's okay, I understand."
"I'll go out there with you."
Peeta perked up, "You will?"
I nodded, "I'm not going to like it, but yes."
He laughed, then took my hand. "What should we say?"
"I don't know. I've never been very brave."
"Yes you have, you are brave.  Come on."
I showed a small smile and followed Peeta to the door.

Once that door opened, I was already blinded by the awful flashing. The first person to shove their way through the other reporters lodged a long microphone in our faces. "How are you guys doing?"
Peeta answered immediately. "Its good, we are doing really good."
"How is your family?"
"Great, we are so proud to be parents." I choked out. 
"Katniss, how is it being married?" Another shouted out. 
"Well first off, I would like to be referred to--" I began to get fired up and Peeta quickly interrupted. "We absolutely love each other."

"Are you enjoying the Capitol?" 
"It's incredible," Peeta chuckled, "the attention is too. I never imagined you guys were so faithful to us."
"Anything for you!" A female reporter blew a kiss towards Peeta. I swallowed down my temper.
"Thank you, it's a great place."
The same reporter turned to me, "Katniss, how do you like the Capitol?"
Peeta's charm had already outdone me, but I knew I would have to try my best attempt. "It's a great escape from Twelve. You don't have to walk a mile to go to dinner."