25 - Our Anniversary

Five o' clock had ticked by so quickly that next day.
I combed out my hair, pulling it up into a semi-neat high ponytail. To match my white long sleeve shirt and jeans, I swatched a light frosty lipstick onto my lips, and put on a light coat of mascara. My anniversary look was what it was. I sighed, knowing that Peeta would definitely outdo me on the outfit.
"Peeta, almost ready?" I asked, leaning on the bathroom door. Peeta had insisted I stay in the bathroom while he schemed some sort of beautiful surprise. "Can I come out?"
"Wait one second!" There was a pause, then, "Okay, you can come out, but meet me by the front door."
I chuckled to myself. I never knew how I could have ever gotten a man like Peeta. I made my way out of the bathroom and into the front door, where Peeta stood, heart-stopping gorgeous with primroses in his hand. 

I took them in my hand, smelling the wonderful primrose fragrance. "Thank you, they're so nice." I smiled, kissing Peeta before he could reply.
"Glad you like them." Peeta said once I pulled away from the kiss.
My attention was suddenly changed to the thought of our children. "Are you sure Will and Rye will be fine with Dane?"
Peeta nodded, taking my hand. "Of course. Dane's watched Willow before."
"I know. . . Oh, God, I'm being such a typical mom. I swore to not worry that easily."
Peeta laughed amusingly. "Let's head to the restaurant. You look beautiful, by the way."
I blushed. "Thanks, I tried. You don't look too bad yourself."

As we started off walking to the restaurant, lights began to flash, increasing in brilliant brightness. Of course, paparazzi. How great.
"Katniss, Peeta, smile for the camera!" One man shouted, shoving a ridiculously big camera in our face. Peeta courteously waved, showing a small smile. I, on the other hand, stared down at the ground in awkward discomfort.
"Tell us about your family!" Another shouted.
Peeta quickly leaned into my ear. "Walk faster!"
I badly wanted to yell at those stalker media-monsters, but I knew that would only make things worse.

Before long we were at the elegant restaurant. "Hello, welcome. How may I help you, Mister and Missus Mellark?" the hostess asked.
"We would like to be seated, please." Peeta replied.
"Inside or outside?"
We both looked at each other, replying in sync. "Outside."
The hostess nodded, gathering two menus and gesturing to follow her. "Right this way."

Outside we were seated on a balcony beneath the stars. To our great advantage, the paparazzi left us alone.
I glanced down at the menu that was more than expensive. The wafts of steak and chicken throughout the restaurant reminded me of the delectable Capital food--the only good part about that place.
"Look at the sky--it's beautiful isn't it?" Peeta said, intrigued by the starry sky above us. It really was beautiful.
I sighed, taking in the view. "It's dreamy."
Peeta was about to respond with his charming tone, when the waiter came and took our orders.

I ordered the lamb stew, having absolutely loved that stuff since I was a child.
Peeta ordered a steak; a large juicy one, that I bribed him to let me taste.
We just stared into each others eyes. I gazed into those beautiful eyes of his for what felt like several blissful minutes. Then Peeta perked up and reached into his coat pocket. "I almost forgot."
"What is it?"
"A little something." Peeta handed me an envelope. I hastily opened it, eager to read it.
Once I opened it, I pulled out the piece of paper inside. It was a sketched get picture Peeta drew of us on our wedding day, kissing. Our lips lost in the taste of each others lips. Our faces touching. My hair was perfectly curled like it had been that day. And my dress. That dress that made me feel like a queen.

I gazed, my eyes filling with a thin layer of water.
"You like it?"
"Oh, of course, Peeta. In fact, how did you remember all this--I mean the way you detailed my dress--just everything."
"Well I could never forget that day, that's all." He replied with a radiant smile.
I almost forgot that there was something else in that envelope: a card. Handwritten by Peeta.
"Should I read it out loud?" I asked.
"Out loud or in your head. Whatever you like."
So I did. It read:

Dear Katniss, 
days go by so quickly. I remember that day when you sang the valley song. Your hair was in two braids instead of one. You were so pretty. Now you are beautiful! I love everything about you! We comfort each other when we need it, we care for each other everyday, and we love each other unconditionally. You give me joy, you give me happiness, you give me life, and you've given me a family. I will never be able to thank you enough. Happy anniversary Katniss!Yours truly, Peeta.