36 - Souvenirs

It was our very last day in the gaudy, ornate Capital. I wasn't too disappointed to say goodbye to the place, but the Capital did have things that I wish could be transported to Twelve.  For instance, the hot water that actually stays hot. Not warm, not lukewarm, but hot, steamy and ever so relaxing.
I dressed myself in not-so-Capital clothes after taking a very long and very amazing shower. After quickly blow-drying my hair, I walked over to the kitchen where Effie and Peeta were sitting, chuckling as they conversed with each other.
"Hello, Katniss! Good Morning." Effie welcomed.
"Morning." I replied, sitting down. Peeta kissed me on the cheek.

I grabbed a blueberry scone from the platter in front of us, along with a few cream puffs. The food was another marvelous aspect of the Capital.
As I began to eat, Effie's demeanor suddenly became serious. "Katniss?"
"Yeah?" I asked suspiciously, swallowing a chewed cream puff.
"Please don't get angry with me."
"Uh, okay." I furrowed my eyebrows, looking at Peeta who had that same seriousness in his eyes. "What's wrong?"
Effie clapped her hands together. "Well, this morning I got a call from. . . Them, and they would like if--"

"Them--they? Who, Effie?"
Effie grimaced, then quickly smiled to cover her concern. "Interviewers, silly. They want to interview you and Peeta, as well as the kids. All you will do is talk about your family."
"My family! No, I don't want my--our--children involved."
"Katniss, pleas--"
"No." I demanded.
Effie blew out an exaggerated breath. "Katniss, I'm not asking you to do this. You have to do this."
I stifled the fury that was trying to make its way out. "I don't want to do it."

Peeta reached for my arm and I snatched it away from his touch. He lowered his eyes at me. "Come on, we have to do this. You knew that eventually this would come up."
"Okay. Whatever." I stood up and took my plate to the sink, trying with all my strength to compose myself. "What's the--" I paused, keeping my anger inside--"date for this interview?"
"Two weeks from now." Effie replied. I nodded curtly.

It was Effie's idea to go shopping, or for Peeta and I, window shopping, since most everything in the Capitol was over our budget. Effie took us to a perfume shop that was odiferous with the scent of President Snow's synthetic roses. A smell that I well forgot about until that day, almost making me sick to my stomach. Then after that, we skimmed our eyes over smaller shops, full of house supplies, make up, skincare, even a bakery that served golden bread--as if the Capital couldn't have gotten any more garish.

"Oh!" Effie exclaimed, pointing to a large neon purple shop, "Let's go in here!"
Inside were clothes and clothes beyond even more clothes. Dozens and dozens of dresses, tuxedos, shoes, clutches, wallets, purses, and some of the weirdest looking hats.
"Do you smell that!" Effie sucked in air, closing her eyes in bliss.
Peeta and I looked at each other. "No. . . What?"
"The smell of newly stitched seams and fresh leather!" Effie replied in excitement. "Oh, I just need this bag!"

"Five thousand dollars?!" Effie read the price tag of the ornate tote.
"Effie, come one let's go. More to see." I tugged on her arm.
"But it's gold!"
"Don't torture yourself." I pulled her away from the bag, but that didn't help because her eyes glued onto a pair of holographic high heels. "I have to have these. . . It would go splendidly with my silver sparkle dress!"
I rolled my eyes.
Peeta gestured throughout the spacious store, "Hey, let's go find ourselves something to marvel at."

There was a life supply of dresses. Expensive frilly neon ones, rhinestones and jewels were embroidered into them. It was extraordinary to know that dresses could be so unbelievable.
Next we went to the tuxedo and suit department. Again, just like the dresses, there was a life supply of tuxedos too. Some were decorated and embroidered with jewels and rhinestones. Some were simple, but made out of the finest fabric. So soft and smooth; luxurious.
"I wonder how good this would feel on my skin." Peeta said, entranced in its softness.
"You should try one on."
"Really?"
"Why not. Besides we'll never be here again, or see anything this amazing." I replied.
"Then you should try on a dress." Peeta suggested.

After several minutes Peeta made his decision.  "I'll wear this one."
The tuxedo was a light baby blue that complemented his complexion and lightened his sky blue eyes.
"That'll look great on you."
Peeta checked the price tag. "Well, it is seven thousand dollars--it better look great on me."
"Yeah, now let's go chose my filthy expensive dress." I laughed, dumbfounded by the price.

I felt confident in my dress choice. It was a solid light lavender swoop neck design. Practically the only dress that wasn't overdone with sparkles.  Though my body wasn't as toned as it once used to be, I think the dress complimented me. I stood in front of the mirror, overlooking every detail of the beautiful silk dress that hung on me. The swoop neck dipped down my chest, exposing most of my skin. Confidence was not naturally one of my virtues, but that dress pumped confidence through me.
"Almost done?" Peeta asked from outside the dressing room door.
In response, I opened the door, standing tall with a scandalous smirk on my face.
I caught Peeta's eyes travel down my neckline in surprise.

"Wow. . . You better go away before my wife sees you."
I laughed, blushing under Peeta's gaze. "This is what thousands of dollars will do to you."
"You look gorgeous."
Peeta was a charm in that tuxedo. It was a perfect fit on him without any tailoring.
I kissed Peeta on the lips. "That tux is unreal on you."
He nodded, "It's incredibly comfortable."
"You know, t--"
"Peeta, Katniss!" Effie burst into the room, interrupting me mid sentence.
She held a hand to her mouth when she saw us holding each other tightly. "So, sorry. I have just been looking for you everywhere. And my great goodness, you two look absolutely ravishing in those outfits!"

"Thank you," Peeta cleared his throat, "what is it that you need, Effie?"
Effie rubbed her hands together in happiness, "You said you wanted souvenirs, right?"
We both nodded. "Just a few things for the kids." I replied.
Effie reached into her new golden purse and pulled out a credit card. "I want to surprise you with some souvenirs then. For you and the kids!"
Peeta chuckled. "Effie--"
"Feel free to purchase whatever you like." She handed us the credit card, smiling with jubilance.
"No, Effie, we don't--"
"I won't take no for an answer! Go get shopping!"