Leading up to...

One week. The countdown had begun. 6 days, 12 hours, and 24 minutes before the day everyone had been waiting for. Everyone was stressed.

Putting final touches on their outfits, making sure they book hair and makeup appointments, and even getting dates set. No school, no work, just plain planning, and perfecting.

Serenity didn't have time to process what was happening. Between Mr. Edward's history lesson and Liam allowing her to actually attend the ball. She was swamped. Not physically but mentally. She didn't even know how to process the information being given to her, so she did the best thing she could.

For now, she would ignore it all.

So here she sat on a blistering Sunday afternoon locked up in her room. The weather was being unpredictable as usual and it was a whopping 85 degrees outside. A big change from the 40 degrees it had been the previous week.

Serenity laid on her bed staring up at the ceiling. Sweat slowly began to form on her forehead in tiny little beads. It may have been only 85 outside but inside, up in her attic room, it's ten degrees hotter. Way too hot to be doing anything.

Her eyes suddenly became heavy, and slowly as the minutes passed by she fell into a peaceful slumber. Since she had no responsibilities or duties she went unnoticed up in her room. No one bothered her, and for once in her life, she wasn't needed. So she peacefully dozed off forgetting all her worries, even if it were only for a second.

                 Downstairs was a bit more chaotic.

"That's it. Everythings in order!" Mateo sunk down in his office chair. Both in defeat and relief.

"Does this mean you will ease up a bit?" Zoey sat in front of him in the chair that laid in front of his desk. With her feet up on the arm of the chair rest she sat chewing on the pen she was holding.

Mateo sighed, "not exactly, love. We're still a bit on edge because of the low security. Having the teens take shifts through the day instead of actual works out is stressing Liam out."

She sighs, "Of course it is. It's always something with him."

"Don't say that. He's your alpha now too. Don't forget that."

"I know, I know, but recently with everything that been happening. I haven't gotten to see much of you. Not unless I come in here and help you with work." She sighs.

"Things have been stressful I understand that, but this is my job," He sat up and put his arms on his desk clasping his hands together. He knew she deserved the truth of what it was going to be like after the ball, so that's what he was going to give her. The truth, "Look, Zoey, after the ball things are going to hit the fan."

She sits up in her seat letting the papers that were in her lap fall to the ground, "what do you mean?"

"Liam has an announcement to make at the ball, and the reaction of everyone can go one of two ways. Hopefully, it goes well, but there are no promises of that. No matter which direction it takes though I will still be just as busy as I have been this past month. Maybe even more."

Now she was confused more than ever, "Announcement? What announcement?"

Mateo shakes his head, "I cannot tell you much. I just wanted to warn you." He stands up and makes his way around the desk, "Now, how about we take the rest of the afternoon to ourselves? We can go into town if you'd like?"

Her mind was racing. Did her dad know this information? What was going to happen at the ball? Pushing all these questions to the back of her mind she smiled and nodded her head, "can we grab some ice cream?"