Chapter 18 - Art

Overdose - Chapter 18 

-Paul-

Last night, I drove Rebecca back to her hotel room and waited outside while she gathered her things. I then drove her to the airport where she purchased a ticket to go home. Before leaving, she turned around, hugged me, and told me to tell Alex that she loves him. I know she's hurting because of what Alex said but I couldn't find the words to comfort her. I'm not even sure I have the words to comfort Alex given that he heard everything she said.

Later that night, I came home and checked on him. He was already asleep, so I closed his door and went to bed. I just hope what happened doesn't push him to the edge. He seems fine but given everything that has happened, I now understand that my son is a brilliant actor.

"Hi dad," His voice pulls me out of deep thought, and I turn to him. He's still in his pajamas and his hair has taken the form of a Truffula tree. He refuses to brush his hair and he doesn't want to go get a haircut. Would he be mad if I cut it while he's sleeping? I'm sure he'd be pissed.

"Morning bud, hungry?" I ask, picking up the pan of eggs and walking toward the breakfast table. He looks out to the backyard and shakes his head no. "Alex, you have to eat. Yesterday I'm sure you didn't eat dinner-"

"Did she leave?" He asks blankly. I frown and set the pan down, "Yeah, she wanted me to tell you that she loves you-"

"She didn't want me. I was born and I was killing her dream..." His eyes shift to mine. "Alex...that's not true. She loved you from the moment you were born, and she still loves you. She cares a lot; she may have a different way of showing it, but she does. I'm sorry that you had to hear that yesterday, but we tend to say things we don't mean when we're angry," I explain calmly.

"I told you calling her was a bad idea, dad." He says stoically. I press my lips together and nod. He's not wrong. Calling her here seemed like the right thing to do but I could have just told her what happened over the phone and assured her that he is fine. "So, what are you going to do today? I have to head to the hospital in a few but I should be back before noon," I ask as I take a seat at the table. He shrugs and walks over to the fridge, "I'll watch ice melt to pass time."

I chuckle, "that's not very fun. Why don't you go out and find inspiration for drawing? I'll give you money for the bus," I suggest with a warm smile. He throws a grape in his mouth and stares at me with a raised brow, "You're trusting me with money?" The answer to his question should be easy yet it's not. I know giving him money could tempt him to do the wrong thing, but I can't keep him prisoner here. Showing him that I trust him might be just enough to make him want to do the right thing. How did that turn out?

"I trust you'll make good choices," I answer assertively. He nods, "I don't want to go anywhere, dad. I'll wait till you come home and we can watch The Grinch," he says with a slight smile before walking over to the table. As if he told me I won the lottery, I smile happily. Though we've been living in the same house, I've missed him. "Are you alright, Kiddo?" I ask as he takes a seat next to me. He looks in deep thought for a moment, "I'm okay. Just, thank you for believing me. I was scared that...maybe you'd be mad."

I frown, "Aside from not asking for permission to leave, you did nothing wrong that night, Alex. You trusted that your boyfriend would keep you safe, that's not wrong. It's hard to not want to blame yourself but I promise you, it's never the victim's fault."

He nods while blinking back tears, "thanks, Dad."

I get up from the chair and wrap my arms around his shoulder. "I love you, kid. More than life." I didn't prepare for something like this to happen to my child. I don't think any parent will ever be ready for something like this but being there will make a world of difference.