Chapter 48 - Moon

Overdose - Chapter 48

-Alex-

The morning sun shines through the windows, casting a ray of light on Nico's curls. His arm is draped across my stomach just below where my sutures are, and his head is nestled up to my neck so close that I can feel it every time he exhales. My eyes trail to the hospital band that I should have taken off a week ago.

The liver transplant was a success. My dad and I are fine, but the doctors have told us to take it easy until we're fully healed. Sabrina is taking care of my dad at the house and Nico refused to drive me home when we were discharged from the hospital. My first time seeing his apartment was when I was barely awake. It's beautiful.

There are three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a kitchen that makes me want to learn how to cook. It's on the very top floor of this building and Nico has the perfect view of the mountains. I wondered briefly how much it costs to live here but I never asked him. Seeing that his photobook was such a success, I guessed that he was able to afford it just fine. I slept so well the first night here that the mere thought of having to go home eventually is kind of sad.

He's been taking care of me for a week now and though I tell him I'm fine, he still goes over the top for me. When I got out of rehab, he was waiting for me in front of my house. I was so happy to see him that I didn't wait 'til my dad put the car in park to get out.

Two weeks ago...

"Alex!" My dad exclaims with shock when I slide my seatbelt off and hop out of the car before he can break and put it in park.

I leave the door open and run to Nico. He wraps his arms around me, and I inhale his intoxicating scent. I missed him terribly. The last conversation we had was painful and I thought about it every day. I hated that I ever made him feel so low. It was difficult to forget him saying that loving me is painful, but his words kept me going. I want to prove him wrong. I want him to love me painlessly.

"I missed you," He mumbles over my shoulder. My heart pounds against my chest at those words. I missed him more than words could describe.

I pull away and look up into his eyes, "Are we okay?" I ask with urgency. It's been so long since I said those three words to him and every night, I'd whisper them before going to sleep. I hoped they'd travel into his dreams and remind him to not give up on us.

"We're okay." He smiles.

"I love you, Nico. I love you so much and I'm so sorry that I ever made you doubt it, but I promise to never stop showing you how much I do. You make me want to live. Not just exist. I want to live but I want to do that with you by my side." My vision blurs and before I can blink the tears away, Nico pulls my head towards his, kissing me so deeply that it makes me dizzy. The last time we kissed was in Italy. I didn't realize how much I craved the feel of his lips on mine until now. I ignore the protest in my chest to get air back in my lungs. I don't want this to end. I never want us to end.