Chapter 41 - Remorse

Overdose - Chapter 41

-Alex-

"ALEXANDER MILLER, living room, NOW!"

I knew this was coming. It's been three days since I decided to go to Jackson's house. I wondered how long it would take for his parents to call my mom who would then call my dad. I guess he thought it over before tattle-telling because three days is surprisingly long.

Reluctantly, I peel myself off my desk chair and make my way to the living room. Shockingly, my dad is standing at the door and so are Jackson's parents. How does it feel to be an idiot? You tell me, you're me.

"Mr. and Mrs. Lamont are here to talk about your visit to their home last Friday," He doesn't sound happy. He pretty much said that through gritted teeth. I swallow the lump in my throat and look at his mom. She looks less vibrant than the last time I saw her. His dad looks like he's been through a war, which is understandable. My dad has looked like that on numerous occasions because of me.

"Please, come in. I'm sure Alexander would love to explain why he violated the restraining order he knew was filed against him." My dad smiles but I know as soon as they leave, he'll unleash the lecture of a lifetime on me. It's not too late to bolt out of here and wait til the coast is clear. My dad never calls me Alexander, but he's used it twice in less than five minutes. If I don't get arrested, he'll probably strangle me.

"Thank you, Mr. Miller. Alexander..." His mom looks at me with eyes that seep into my soul. "Hello." My voice cracks, showing just how nervous I am but they don't look angry. It's strange, they look remorseful. I follow them to the couch, and they sit down in the center, and I take a seat on one of the love seats.

"May I offer you anything to drink?" My dad asks but I know he doesn't really want to. Thankfully they decline and my dad takes a seat opposite of me on the other loveseat. "You came to our home last Friday to speak to our son. When we got home, he was asleep, but we noticed a jersey that didn't belong to him in the entryway...I presume it was yours?" She asks her voice hinting tears would make an appearance at any moment.

>>>Last Friday>>>

"Jax, whose stuff is in the doorway?" I ask as James brings in our suitcases. Jackson is in the living room staring at the fireplace but it's not on. His dad gives me a confused glance and we walk to him. His cheeks are tear-stained and his eyes are red. He's holding a half-finished beer bottle. "You know you can't be drinking with your medication, right?"

He doesn't answer as he brings the bottle to his lips. "Leave him, he can drown out his sorrows while we get ready for dinner with the Harmons." His dad says before turning to the kitchen.

"He was telling the truth," Jackson says before James can make it to the fridge.

I look at his dad and then at him, "what are you talking about?"

"Alex was telling the truth and you two...helped me convince a court that he wasn't."

I stare at him wide-eyed. "You said you saw him drinking and taking drugs all night-"

"I lied. Just like you taught me, right Dad?"

He looks over at his father who seems to be frozen in place. "The most fucked up part of it all is that you didn't do it because you cared about me, you did it because a Lamont couldn't have been in the news for something as vile as sexual assault. Right, dad?"

I swallow the lump in my throat, "James, what is he talking about? Jax that's not true. You told us he was just upset because you didn't want to be with him..."

"Did dad tell you about the affair he had yet? The one he had to cover up because she was seventeen?"

"Jackson enough. Christina, he's drunk."