Chapter 31 - Liar

Overdose - Chapter 31

-Nico-

Two weeks have passed since Alex's trial. I see him almost every day but it's not the same as it was before. The livelihood that was there before has been replaced with something duller. Then, I used to look into his eyes and find a story so captivating that it kept me from looking away, but now they hold the sad truth.

He rarely smiles and when he does, I can tell it's not from the heart. He zones out more frequently and before I used to ask what he was thinking about but now if I ask it's more like a rhetorical question. I feel utterly useless in all of this even though he tells me that my presence is enough. I just wish I could do more. Say more.

"Nicholas!" Taylor snaps her finger in my face, pulling me out of my derailing train of thought. "Sorry, what?" I ask, staring down at her. She frowns, "I was asking how Alex was doing..."

Taylor doesn't know the full scope of the story and I won't be the one to tell her. That should be up to Alex. "He's fine. Still sober," I answer quickly before picking up a box and opening it. "That's amazing. Are you guys..." She pauses hesitantly for a moment.

"Official now?"

The age-old question with no real answer. "We're not in a rush." I say trying to convince none other than myself. How does it feel to not know where you stand? It feels like flying but I feel that at any moment, I may become Icarus...and Alex, the sun.

Taylor serves me a knowing look before grabbing the bag of accessories from the box. Helping her with her store is my way of procrastinating and being a good friend. I have so much work to do but lately, I haven't felt motivated. Anytime I sit behind my computer, I start thinking about Alex. He would be upset if I told him I'd been putting off work because of him. I've chosen to keep that to myself.

"I'm making dinner tonight; you and Alex should come over. I promise to keep my questions to myself. It's been a while since we've hung out outside of the store," she frowns. That is true. Before we used to see each other a lot but lately, our hangouts have been scarce. "Sure, I'll ask him."

She nods then we begin breaking down the boxes.

>>>

After spending the rest of the morning helping Taylor, I decided to pick up lunch and head over to Alex. His dad has been working a lot, which Alex doesn't seem to mind, at least that's what he says. The warm afternoon air felt pleasant enough to drive with the windows down. The beauty of this place is that it manages to stay the same while simultaneously changing with the seasons. I have thought about leaving before but everything here is just way too familiar. Everything I know lies in this town so leaving would feel like losing a piece of me.

Even if I were to leave, I'm not sure where I would go. Anyway, leaving now wouldn't make any sense.

Alex opened the door, still in his pajamas with a blanket draped over his head. He motioned me to come in and I closed the door behind me. I smile to myself when I notice what's playing on the tv. Animal Planet documentary. "How'd you sleep?" I ask, taking a seat next to him on the couch. He looks up at me with bloodshot eyes and puffy eyelids. He didn't. "Never mind. I brought you lunch," I hold up the bag and he offers me what looks to be a smile.

"Thank you. You didn't have to," his voice sounds hoarse and strained. It's obvious that he probably cried until there were no more tears. "I wanted to," I offer him a warm smile and he nods. He hasn't been going to his therapist and his dad decided that we shouldn't force him to do anything he doesn't want to. Knowing Alex, pushing him to do anything right now will probably send him over the edge.