One Frightful Night

Have you ever heard about a man, who longs for his nonexistent wife? He wanders and wanders late at night. What he does not realize; is that he is long dead, lost and forgotten.

Ever wondered about the fresh lilies that float on a damp, polluted pond. The pond having no life, from where do they get that strange musty color and how are they alive?

On the 14 of lunar date, you will find a woman, near the river bank who gazes longingly at the moon. If you ask, she says her soul is one of the occupants of the moon’s shadow. She whispers non-verbal sounds that sends chills down the spine.

A sigh of a child, sitting alone playing with an unfamiliar toy. The smile of the child that matches the sinister toys often brushed off by parents. Have you noticed how slowly but surely the smile grows?

Did you know the eerie creeks you hear and bizarre stillness you feel when you stare at the old abandoned house? There is no air but you feel your whole body entrapped by something cold and windy.

Something ominous that passes by in a fleeting moment yet you are unaware of the presence that surrounds you.

On your birthdays, how you feel a slight chill every time you blow away another candle. Your soul slowly withering away as you continue living for another day.
.
.
.
.

“Stop stop stop!” a voice cried, “What is up with these ideas? Who comes up with them?” a boy sitting on the floor suddenly covers his eyes in fright.

“I didn't even get to the twisted part yet and here you are whimpering like a kid.” the other boy furrowed his eyes and closed a small book in his hand, sighing in defeat.

“You are really messed up in the head if you enjoy such stories!” cried the terrified voice again.

Eden is a teenage boy who loves to read horror fantasies and enjoys scaring his friend Jadon.

“I can’t believe I agreed to come to your place only to find out you wanted to tell me horror stories!” Jadon flared with anger.

“Do you have any idea how much I control my hands from slapping you?” as he scolded Eden, Jadon’s face became white because he was barely breathing in.

Eden in response only laughed and cackled seeing Jadon's face.
“What are you getting so worked up on? These are just some stories; ghosts don’t exist nor do the impending doom caused by them.”

Eden wiped away his tears, after laughing in amusement his tummy started to hurt so he stopped and opened the book again. “Humans are much scarier than the ghosts can ever be.” he said with a crooked smile on his face.

“No, ghosts used to be humans! And stop with that creepy face! I don’t want to listen to any of your stupid stories.” Jordan huffed; his expression irritated.
He stood up and doubled the lights in the room.

“You ruined the mood...” Eden complained.

Jordan thumped his feet in anger and yelled while crossing his arms, “Good! Now for whatever’s sake, please go to sleep! It's already 3am.”

Pouting, the mischievous boy, put down the book on his table and went to his bed reluctantly.

“Are you not going to turn off the lights.” Eden asked.

“No.” said Jordan.

“How about turning one light off?”

“Still no.”

“….....”

“….....”

“Do you think the ghosts will come out from under the bed even if its bright?” Eden pondered a little too loud.

Jorden yanked his sheets, got up from the floor and kicked Eden while screaming, “I swear Eden if one more word escapes your idiotic mouth, I'll will be the reason you die not ghosts!”