Prologue

Roman’s POV

SONG: Hey Brother
By: Avicii

Ever heard of The Imagination Kingdom? Well, it’s real. My name is Roman Sanders. I’m 31 years old, and I’m king of the kingdom. Allow me to tell you the story of me and my twin brother, Remus Sanders.

As most of you know, Remus and I were born as one person. Until at the age of 3 or 4, we separated. I wasn’t clothed when they found me. Remus was, so they assumed he was older than me. They say he’s about 5 minutes older than me, but he’s not exactly 3 or 4 years older than me either. We realized we were twins when we first separated. We seemed the same age, so there was nothing to think twice about.

Anyway, we started out like any normal royal family. We were just two twin brothers who could never be separated. We did everything together. At least, we wanted to. Some things weren’t allowed due to simple rules or royal reasons. But, overtime, the closer we became, the more I also realized just how different Remus was. The Imagination was about peace, harmony, beautiful colors, etc. Yet, Remus was different from that. I realized at age 10...maybe 11, that he was more into chaos, sex, and the colors of black and green. That was one thing we differed from. But, I didn’t mind and he didn’t either. I never told anyone either, out of fear of what would happen to him.

One day, our parents, the King and Queen, announced to us that they were leaving. Remus and I told them not to go, but they ignored us. I had asked one day: “Where are you going?” And mother responded with: “The Dark Land.” I froze. I told her that that place wasn’t real and it was just a story she told me and Remus when we were little. But, she said that it was actually a myth, and her and father wanted to see if it was really real. I had a feeling that there was more to it than that, but decided not to push her. I knew better.

When they left, Remus and I waited 9 weeks before we got the message that they had died. I was left in a state of depression, but Remus was too busy with learning how to become King. We always believed that Remus was older than me, so he is and was the heir to the throne. We were only 15 then.

When we turned 18, before the coronation started, I pulled Remus to the side and told him everything. I was worried about what kind of future he’d bring for the kingdom, since he was so different from what we stood for. He took this the wrong way and he challenged me to a battle. He told me that whoever won the duel, got to rule the kingdom. I didn’t see any way out of it, so I accepted. Besides, I felt as if I was better for the future of the kingdom, and a burning passion in me told me to not let him win (the crowning was cancelled until we figured this out).

The next night, Remus and I fought. It wasn’t a happy fight. He has slashed me on my right side hip, which would leave a scar for the rest of my life. He almost had the upper hand at one point, but when I slashed his head slightly with my sword, a part of his hair turned gray. I stood there, looking at him in pity. I didn’t know what to do. I wanted to help and reassure him, but nothing in me moved. Remus knew he had lost, and ran away. I stayed in that position for the rest of the night and the next day. I didn’t eat. I was so depressed. I had lost both my parents, then my brother. I didn’t know what to do.

About 2 months later, I was crowned King. I had also begun to realize that a couple miles away was Remus’ kingdom. “The Shadow Kingdom”. The Dark Sides as you know them.

Oh! I hadn’t told you where I met Patton and Logan. It was actually when I was around 3 years old, and there was a party at the center of town. I had met Patton there. We later met Logan when we were in middle school, who was sitting alone, reading a book, but we forced him to play with us. A couple years later, I got to be Patton’s Best Man at his and Logan’s wedding. So that worked out lovely.

Not to drag the mood, but I still think about what the Imagination would be like if Remus had taken over. Or if we ruled together like I want now.