8: Just the Start

No POV

SONG: Castle on the Hill
By: Ed Sheeran

Roman led Remus to the old stable. Lots of horses trampled and walked around the huge field. The field was a beautiful shade of light green. Some were in the stable, eating. The stable looked a little beat up, but Roman liked that look too it. The horses looked tired and bored.

A memory pops into Remus' head. He took his old horse, Casper, for a ride around the castle garden. Casper was a fast, lovely, graceful and obedient horse. Casper was a dark gray horse with white spots on his coat. He had a white mane and tail. Sadly, Casper had died when Remus was 17. Remus loved the smell of the freshly cut grass when he bounced on Caspers' back as they rode around the castle garden. He loved the wind in his dark and dirty blonde hair (his and Roman's hair turned brown when they got older), the sound of Casper's hooves hitting the ground was calming to Remus. He was about 13 when he did this. He saw tons of flowers of all shapes, colors and sizes. Some people who worked for the kingdom got angry at Remus for taking Casper for a ride in the middle of the garden, but he didn't care. Neither did Casper. Remus knew Casper enjoyed it just as much as he did.

Remus snapped out of it when he saw Roman grab reigns, a saddle and more utensils to ride a horse. Roman was wearing his usual outfit, only this time, he had a sword at his side. He opened the door to a stable and pulled out a Quarter Horse. It had a tan coat, with a white mane and tail. It looked beautiful.

Remus followed Roman's actions and grabbed his things and brought out a Hanoverian horse. It was pure black. Even it's mane and tail was black. It reminded Remus of his kingdom.

"Midnight, I see." Roman said, strapping his horse up. Remus looked at him confused.

"Huh?" He asked, starting to put his things on the horse, who's name he now assumes is Midnight.

"Midnight. That's her name. She's a good horse for long distances. You know, the Hanoverian horse was meant for pulling carriages, but we trained her to be long distance instead." Roman said. He wrapped his satchels on his horse.

"How about you?" Remus asked, sorta ignoring the facts about his horse Roman pointed at. Remus was doing the same things to his horse as well. He put the reins on, the saddle, etc. "What's your horse's name? What breed are they?" He asked. Roman chuckled.

"This is Carmel. He's a Quarter Horse. He's big and stocky and he's typically used for trail riding, but we trained him for long distances. He's done very well." Roman patted Carmel's head. He shook his head. Roman got on the horse and waited for me. He had his sword by his side, food in the bags for us and Carmel. He's got the essentials. Remus has the same thing, of course.

Remus climbed on top of Midnight. He could tell she quickly grew a liking to him. He patted the side of her neck and she shakes too. Remus smiled. Roman kicks Carmel softly and tilts him to get out of the stable. Remus followed him. Midnight quickly follows Carmel. Remus likes her a lot already.

---

Roman and Remus are on a dirt road. It's mainly flat and surrounded by trees. It might've been night when they left, and it's still night, but this time it's pitch black. The stars lit up the road through the tree branches. The shadows of the branches covered up the tracks, but some of the stars showed onto the lighter rocks and some parts of the grass on the side. Silence fell between the twins. They had so much to catch up on, where to start? Roman wanted to know everything about Remus' life since he left the Imagination. Remus, on the other hand, doesn't want to know anything about Roman. He's interested in knowing about Patton and Logan's family and how Virgil's doing, but that's it. Remus enjoys the silence between the two of them. He gets to think about where he's going and how long it may take him and to think about memories he's had with Janus over the years.